Pass First league+run first team=fail

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by rodgev, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodgev

rodgev Starter

The leauge has evolved into a spread em out throw it all over the field type leauge Quarterbacks put up 400 yard games like running backs used to put up 100 yard games. Hell a receiver put up a 300 yard game and everybody knew he was getting the ball. It's time for the Titans to adapt. We have been a run the ball stop the run team for almost 20 years now and how has that gone. The game has changed GODell has made the passing game ridiculously easy yet we still turn around and hand it off.

Sorry for the mini rant but I am hoping yesterday's loss will get us a new coach with an offensive mind because right now I feel like I am watching the Titans playing Tecmobowl Bowl and the rest of the leauge is Playing Madden 25

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. rodgev

rodgev Starter

image.jpg

Found Logains playbook

Down and B is only to be used when down 14 or more

• High Five High Five x 4
  3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You need to justify that with some real numbers. Based on that theory the teams that run the ball least would have the best records and those that run it most the worst records. Is that true?

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The best teams can run the ball so no.

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Problem is this staff thinks they're smarter and more talented than they are in reality. They know it's a pass-happy league. So they figured "Well, we'll be the team that runs it down everybody's throats and controls the clock!!!". Then it seems it was way too late in the game before they figured out "Oh wait, you're telling me we need to have a dominant OL and a (healthy) bruising back to pull this off? Well I'll be damned. Oh well, I guess let's just run it with this scrub OL and 190lb RB anyway."

And the amazing thing is they're STILL trying to do it 10 weeks into the season. L...O...freaking L.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

In 2012 6 of the top 10 teams in pass attempts did not make the playoffs.

Lions, Saints, Cowboys were the top 3 teams in pass attempts. None with a winning record.

Raiders were 5th, Eagles 7th and cardinals 9th and none of them made it either.

Oh and the Jags were 11th in pass attempts last year.

7. rodgev

rodgev Starter

Probably not because those numbers become skewed by teams that pass first getting a lead and then running the game out. I'm not sure if New Orleans even threw a pass in the 4th quarter last night. Conversely run first teams who fall behind and are forced to pass in the fourth quarter eg. Titans 4th quarter yesterday.

But here lets try something. Traditional run first teams

Tenn. 4-5
    Hou- 2-7
    Jax- 1-8
    Balt- 4-5
    Pitt - 3-6
    Rams 4-6
    Falcons (yes they are run on first throw on third down) 2-7
    Vikings-2-7

Passing teams (teams that feature the QB)

Denver
    New Orleans
    Dallas
    New England
    Indy
    Detroit

There is a difference when you have no idea whats coming on first down. Those winning teams will run but you don't know what's coming. Teams stack the box against those losing teams and the coaches for whatever reason decide to run into 8 man fronts all game long. Winning teams check to a pass thats all I'm saying.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I want you to justify your theory based on facts not on tradition. The Jags were 11th in pass attempts last year. The Vikings made the playoffs last year while the Saints , Cowboysand Lions did not.

You put forth this theory that simply running the ball less and throwing it more is somehow the key to winning. Let's see the numbers. I have them let's see yours.

So if you don't have a great QB just throw it 40 times anyway?

I

9. rodgev

rodgev Starter

Jags were behind early every game raiders and cardinals (skelton, kolb linldley, hoyer) same way. Eagles and saints both were coaching messes with the various issues (Reid's son and Payton's suspension). Cowboys have Tony Romo a guy who if you have watched him play cannot win close games consistently check his pressure games he is a chocked so yeah they missed the playoffs.

So asking horrible quarterbacks to sling the ball around wont work. Oak, jax, ari,
    Playing in the toughest division wont work. det (everybody else in that division was 10-6)
    Coaching staff in flux won't work. Phi, New Orleans

Does that help

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Another myth is that the league is somehow completely different from what it was 20 years ago. Even 10 years ago as if the average team throws it 10-15 more times than they did then. WRONG!

In 1992 the 16th rated team in pass attempts threw the ball 473 times. The 16th ranked team in pass attempts in 2012 was the panthers who threw the ball 490 times. Wow that's about one more pass attempt a game!

Myth means nothing. tradition or how people believe something to be means nothing. reality is that teams don't really throw the ball that much more now than they did 20 years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar