Pass on a day 1 QB

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by chamgel2, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

After watching Mallett last night, and looking at the prospects on the board, outside of Luck all have major question marks. Which leads me to the guy I think we should take in day 2..Pat Devlin in round 3 (maybe even 4). He's a smart, accurate QB who makes good decisions, doesn't have the arm strength that Locker or Mallett have, but it is more then enough to make all the throws and his accuracy and decision making is much better. Take the best defensive player available in round 1 and 2, and then look at Devlin in round 3.

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Technically Day 1 is just the 1st round..

3. xpmar9x

Also Ryan Mallett did not do bad in the Sugar Bowl. He def. did not do AMAZING, but he had a good game. His draft stock probably went down a little..

Malletts receivers dropped atleast 5 easy catches, and another 3-4 could of been catches.

- Malletts OL was horrible, Cameron Heyward and OSUs DL tore them apart.
    - The INT was a great defensive play, Mallett could of read it better though.
    - When Mallett had time, he delivered a great football.
    - Moved better in the pocket early on in the contest than times I've seen him play before.
    - The arm strength is so incredibly impressive. He doesn't fully step in to throws and they just zoom right out of his hand.
    - Led his receivers well when he could go through a full delivery. His very first throw was tremendous down the middle seem. It hit the receiver right in the hands. Nothing much more he can do.
    - After a few questionable decisions and throws.
    - That touchdown pass at the end of the third quarter comes to mind. A beautiful fade route.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

you're right..for some reason I had it in my head it was 1st and 2nd. They do it 1st Thursday, 2nd and 3rd Friday and the rest on Saturday now right? I liked it better all on a Saturday, gave me a reason not to do honey-do's all weekend.

5. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Don't get me wrong..I love Ryan Mallett....if we do take a QB in round 1, he should be it. He is better then Locker, Newton, and Gabbert. Personally I don't see him sliding to round 2 based on his arm strength. If you look at the last few years and the QBs that have fallen, they all either have arm strength questions. Mallett has the strongest arm in the draft, reminds me a lot of Joe Flacco, just a little less mobile. He has some issues as well, but historically, the NFL has overlooked those to get a QB with his arm strength. I just think, assuming Mallett goes round 1, that we'd be better off taking Prince in round 1, and either Marvin Austin or Bruce Carter in round 2, then looking at the QBs in round 3. If Mallett somehow slides to round 2 I change my thoughts entirely.

6. xpmar9x

Rd. 1: Thursday, April 28
    Rds. 2-3: Friday, April 29
    Rds. 4-7: Saturday, April 30

I liked it better all on Sunday also. They should of done Rds 1-3 on Friday and 4-7 Saturday. 3 days is just too much.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I agree, let's pass on a QB day 1.

8. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

What about Mallett don't you like? The 30 TDs 2 years in a row or the 66% pass completion percentage for the year? He could have had at least 2 more TD passes last night if his WRs make the plays, but they had a case of the drops. He also had NO time to pass. The OSU DL was constantly getting pressure on him. Think of him with the Titans OL, with Britt, Williams, Cook, and Washington to throw to. I don't see any way (assuming Vince is gone) we pass on a guy with his size and arm strength if he's there.

9. xpmar9x

• Streaky accuracy at times, less accurate when on the move (most QBs are).
    • Doesn't set his feet when on the move.
    • Questionable decision making at times.
    • Rumored to have "character issues".
    • Seems to get flustered in late game situations and make poor decisions. (like OSU game & Alabama game).
    (& by the way.. i'm a Mallett fan.)

10. 24

24 Starter

To add on, yesterday's game wasn't the first I've seen of him. He tends to get flustered in the pocket, he doesn't always set his feet. If you don't set your feet, you won't be accurate. I don't know how true this is, but I've heard he's not the smartest of QBs. That being said, he does seem to make his proper progressions, he has an over the top release, and when he gets time to set his feet in the pocket, he often times looks better than Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar