Pass-->Run OR Run-->Pass?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Jan 24, 2012.

?
  1. Pass to Run

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. Run to Pass

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

What does everyone prefer? Passing the ball to set up the run or running the ball to set up the pass?

2. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Whatever works, that's what matters.

It looks great when you're airing it out, but then again, the constant 4-5-6 yard grinding yards rushing are also pretty sweet.

3. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

The question isn't so much pass to run or run to pass we need to have a balanced attack that is capable of doing both if necessary. If given the choice I would like us to have a team that runs a 55/45 split in favor of the passing game. That gives us some explosiveness on offence while keeping a credible threat of play action.

4. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I'm tired of running the ball so much. We need to throw the ball more to preserve our RB and to make the running game more effective when we do run. Having a mobile QB like Jake will do wonders for the running game especially if we let him throw the ball a lot.

It gets boring to see us run, run and then try to pass on a 3rd and long only to punt it away. Let's open things up a bit.

5. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

No one should put run to pass as that is what we have been doing for decades, never changing a damn thing, and a blind deaf monkey could predict our offensive strategy these days.

6. Ewker

Ewker Starter

whatever it takes to get a TD but saying that I prefer a passing game to a running game.

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

The league is set up for passing games to be successful. So a top-notch passing attack should be the ultimate goal. If you have an elite QB (or just a really good QB with really good to great receivers) then, in most cases, there isn't much need to "run to set up the pass" anymore. But if you don't, then it's much more necessary to get the run game going to open things up downfield.

With Hasselbeck we're somewhere in between IMO. He's very good, but nowhere near elite. He isn't a good enough QB to compensate for the complete lack of a run game AND the loss of our only elite WR this season. If Britt hadn't gone down, or the run game had been at least respectable I think we would have had at least one extra win this season and would've been a completely different looking team.

And who knows about Locker? We really didn't get to see enough of him, although I liked what I saw. I really hope he beats out Hass for the starting gig next season. Hasselbeck is definitely the more savvy of the two and is arguably more accurate. But Locker does add that extra dimension with his legs. He CAN somewhat compensate if the run game is terrible again next year. He's an 8th overall pick for god's sake. One year of sitting on the bench is enough. And I hate the Rodgers comparison as we don't exactly have a Brett Favre in front of Locker.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I look at what the Saints, Packers, and Patriots do, and love it! Those teams are all pass first teams, but their running attack is as good as anyones. Just look at what the Patriots did vs Baltimore, they ran the ball down their throats, same goes for when the Saints and Packers decide to run the ball. Everyone is always looking to stop the pass which allows them to sneak in those runs. Giving up those big runs to those passing teams breaks defenses down so it's even easier to run next time.

I think C.J. would be awesome again if we threw to set up the run, it would open up all kinds of lanes. Most of C.J.'s biggest runs of his career came on 3rd & longs (passing down).

Also with Locker, people need to realize how strong his arm is. He could be sitting down and launch it further than Hasselbeck can if he drives the ball with his legs. Locker has unbelievable velocity on his passes. I hope our coaches let him air it out.

And all this talk from C.J. about him getting 20 carries drives me nuts. We should NOT make it a point to get that guy the ball, let's go with the flow and use whats working.

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Brees, Rodgers, Brady. They are why those teams are so fun to watch. It's much easier to have a good run game when you have an elite passing attack. When playing those teams you ALWAYS have to respect the pass. Even if you know it's a sure-fire run situation.

I agree. But having defenses REALLY respect our passing attack is key. Can Hasselbeck (or Locker) get us to that level? With a healthy Kenny Britt I think so. Without, I'm not so sure.

10. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

In a league designed to make the Quarterback look good, it's counter-productive to take the ball out of his hands as much as we do. Times have changed, it's a QB driven passing league.

Packers
    Steelers
    Saints
    Colts
    Giants
    Patriots

Last 6 superbowl winning teams. And they all are passing teams. I feel like teams who run to pass are trying to fight the current and thats why you don't see it succeed anymore.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar