Pass-rushers get clear message from NFL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert The NFL matched its biggest fine of the year Friday by docking Minnesota defensive end Jared Allen $50,000 for a pair of low hits on Houston quarterback Matt Schaub in last Sunday's 28-21 Vikings victory at the Metrodome. Although the league took into account that Allen has already been fined once this season for a late hit, the size of Friday's fine can only be interpreted as a powerful attempt to curb aggressiveness around quarterbacks.

On both plays, Allen was knocked to the ground during a pass rush. He continued pushing toward Schaub and said Wednesday that he was following his instinct to reach the quarterback. Allen said he had no intent to hurt Schaub, but Schaub did sprain the medial collateral ligament in his knee and will miss two to four weeks.

But player safety is one of commissioner Roger Goodell's top priorities and it's hard to dispute that Allen violated the NFL rule prohibiting hits on a quarterback below the knee. The size of the fine means the NFL expects defensive players in that situation to stop pursuing quarterbacks when they're on the ground, if that's what it takes to prevent low hits.

Earlier this week, before learning of the fine, Allen said he didn't think the NFL should have separate rules for quarterbacks.

"Maybe they want to protect the quarterbacks because they say it's an offensive-driven league," Allen said. "Well, I don't believe in that. I'm a defensive player. I believe it's a defensive-driven league."

It's safe to say the NFL doesn't share Allen's belief.

More...

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

"You can't hit the quaterback below the knees, you can't hit him in the head and apparently you can't hit them hard either."-- Justin Tuck.

3. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

They keep on this path and Women will be trying out for the team.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

funny. that was on that si cover 30 years ago.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

It was funny last week when the ref threw the flag, then announced to the crowd that there was no foul because the hit to the head was not on the qb. One of the funniest things in a while.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

With this rule and the way it is interpreted on the field the officals have too much power over who wins or loses. That's bullcrap!

If the hit is an obvious blow to the head or the knee or is late then fine. Otherwise tough. There has been some really moronic interpretations of the driving into the ground rule. In my mind again it has to be blatant and obvious.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I heard Joey Porter on the radio and he says before he's about to make a sack he will think about a possible fine right before he does it. I find that funny. He also pointed out how it's just gotten to the point where you can't hit a QB without a fine. As a defensive player you can't stop in time if going at full speed after the QB just throws the ball, besides he doesn't know if it's going to be a pump fake, and even still you need to be able to hit a QB as he's throwing to mess up the pass. It's funny because there's not like a whole bunch of college QBs getting hurt and their getting hit too, so why should the NFL be more wussier?

8. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

The NFL is trying to fix their mistakes. Just reported that the NFL rescinded the fine against Justin Tuck. Maybe they will cut this stuff out for good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar