Percentage of Superbowl Wins Based on # of Superbowl Appearances

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Two Kings, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

I was bored for about an hour and started digging through NFL team's Super Bowl appearances and their win to loss record. This may not be the right place to post so feel free to move it.

I wanted to know the percentage chance to win a Super Bowl based on how many times the team has already appeared in one. I also wanted to know the chances that the team has already won a Superbowl with each different number of appearances. The obvious assumption is the more times you appear the greater the chance your team will win. From what I found though, through history, that isn't the current case. What I found was kinda interesting:

# of SB appearances - % chance to win/ chance you already won 1

1 - 33 % chance to win/ 0 % chance you already won 1

2 - 40 % chance to win/ 60 % chance you already won 1

3 - 33 % chance to win/ 33 % chance you already won 1

4 - 16 % chance to win/ 25 % chance you already won 1

5 - 64 % chance to win/ 178 % chance you already won 1

6 - 58 % chance to win/ 140 % chance you already won 1

7 - 43 % chance to win/ 75 % chance you already won 1

8 - 75 % chance to win/ 220 % chance you already won 1

I'm not the greatest math guru but this was what I did:

For chances to win I divided the number of total wins with the amount of games played for each category of respective number of Superbowl appearance.

For the chance that your team has already won 1 I divided the number of total team wins with the number of total team loses for each category of respective number of Superbowl appearances

So our Titans have 1 appearance. The next time we go into the Superbowl, as of now we would theoretically have a 40 percent chance to win based off history.

Another interesting thing is that once teams have gone to 5 Superbowls they are more than guaranteed to have at least won 1 Superbowl by that time. Again this is all obvious but I just wanted to do this for some fun and it allows me to hypothesis more what our Titans may be doing if we get to the playoffs.

Hope you enjoy!

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 5
  3. GTFO my pancakz

GTFO my pancakz S.D.M.F.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379791876.799520.jpg

EDIT: Tapatalk sucks for gifs

4. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

Lol well it was interesting to me :)

5. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

I think buffalo killed chances or 1-4 to win again

6. crypta333

crypta333 Starter

ROTFLMAO!! Good one Alex.

7. crypta333

crypta333 Starter

I bet you aced Probability and Statistics class. Too complicated for me, lol.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

High-five for the effort.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar