Peyton Manning- best QB? Yeah. Maybe 4 years ago.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HALL97ROX

HALL97ROX Camp Fodder

I do love ESPN, they show sports and while they have a facination with Farve and Manning they seem to back it up with facts and statistics. I don't take what they say as bible truth, just entertainment.

2. jdog

jdog I like beer!

Yes, the poster I was responding to understood me.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Gloat, no one took you seriously because you only went laid out half of an argument that most people are going to disagree with even if you do end up making the best argument that can be made for it.

The thread title says that Manning isn't the best QB in the NFL, and hasn't been. Then who is? Is it Brady? Is it Brees? Is it Farve? Is it Rivers? You aren't arguing a point, you're arguing against a point. Name a QB that you think is better and people can specifically compare.

Honestly, I didn't seriously wade into it because I don't have the time. I might over the weekend, but I'm too busy at the moment to start pulling up all the numbers. I'll give it a short version.

You don't seem to be taking into account the current season. Manning has won two playoff games against good defenses, and looked very good. Brees looked less accurate than he has all season against the Vikings. Yes, it's because they're a great defense, but Manning played well against a great defense.

You said that Brees hasn't lost a game this year? He lost two. He played, and played to win, in the Dallas and Tampa Bay games. Every game where he wasn't pulled during the regular season, Manning won.

Over a few seasons, you don't want to compare the two. Manning's worst season in the past seven he had a passer rating of 95. Brees has had six good seasons in a row (I'm presuming that you don't want to count his 67 rating in 2003, so I won't go back that far), but two of those years his rating was 89. Brees best season ever (this season), his passer rating is 109. Manning's best season ever, his passer rating was a mind boggling 121.

In terms of playoff records, only Warner is far and away better than Manning. The others are fairly similar, if not worse.

The scary thing to me is that it looks like Manning has gotten over his days of choking in big games. He lost to the Chargers last season in overtime when he never got the ball. He looked good against the Pats in the regular season, and good in both playoff games.

You answered everyone's joke arguments mocking your original assertion. Finish out your point and defend someone, anyone, as better than Manning, either this season, or over the last few seasons. Pick the point that you want to make and fill it out.

P.S. Didn't you feel at least a little bit queasy when the only person who decided to step up and defend you proposed McNabb as a top two QB? (McNabb's always been inconsistent, one week he's great, one week he looks absolutely lost. I'd say he's always just below the status of being a great NFL QB just because you never know which McNabb will show up. It's haunted him for years. I would feel tortured if I were a Philly fan.)

4. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Peyton is already on a short list of best QBs of all time. I think most people believe he's probably currently number 2 and poised to take the number 1 from Montana over the next 5-6 years of his career.

You've never been very good at rational arguments Gloat. You always think everyone else is brainwashed and you're the only person capable of seeing "the truth". Instead of trying to actually argue against your backwards "argument", I'll just list all of the ways that you've been hypocritical or just plain wrong in this very thread. Feel free to add to it guys!

1. You think Kobe is more clutch than LeBron without using any real statistics to prove it. In fact, LeBron is one of the most clutch players in the NBA and definitely the most clutch of all the players that make up a high percentage of his team's offense. This wasn't exactly stated in the thread but only referred to.
    2. You say that you consider individual performance in lieu of team success, yet you consistently talk about Manning's team success in the playoffs. In fact, his career playoff QB rating is pretty good, although slightly less than his "stellar" career average.
    3. You knock his playoff record yet say nothing of his making the playoffs in so many seasons consecutively in a much more balanced league than any of the former greats have ever seen.
    4. You talk about Drew Brees who clearly hasn't had a better career than Manning and had little playoff success. No knock on Drew, who has had an outstanding last few years, but his career can't be matched up to Manning.
    5. You equate 1st round with good player. In fact, due to Manning's oustanding performance year in and year out, the Colts have always been picking at the bottom of the first round. Never no mind that where you're picked doesn't indicate performance in the NFL.
    6. You haven't even mentioned that the Colts were terrible before Manning came on the scene (thus the number 1 pick) and haven't looked back since.

5. AH3

AH3 Rookie

Seriously, what other QB could do this? Peyton is the greatest by far.

[​IMG]

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

No one needs anything to be able to say that. Watch them both play.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I would agree Kobe is more clutch.

8. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

kobe is so much more clutch its not even funny. 2 years ago, lebron got shut down in the playoffs, and had games where he put up aweful stats, and his team lost...

also, when everyone wanted kobe v lebron last year... kobe delivered and lebron got eliminated.

9. wycheck28

wycheck28 Starter

I know we are supposed to hate peyton manning but are we supposed to hate him with ignorance??? love him or hate him peyton manning is one of the best QB's to play the game. i dont think its fair to compare great QB's of the past(Unitas,Baugh,Namath ETC) to modern day QB's(Manning,Brady,Brees ETC) because of the change in talent, dedication and schemes but you cannot over look Mannings greatness. this year manning was better than ever by proving he can raise the talent level of everyone around him. do you really think that Austin Colle, Pierre Garcion or even Reggie Wayne would be half as good with another QB?? I don't think so because not only is Manning studying 24/7 but he's also a leader 24/7 as well by spending every offseason working with all recievers and raising the bar with his work ethic. if you want to look at stats look at the most important stats for a QB: best record in the NFL over the last 10yrs: 2 superbowls in the last 3 yrs. enough said..... I don't like Peyton Manning but I do respect him and to say he is not great is just ignorant......

10. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Geez, for the last time im not trying to prove his point correct. im just saying i would prefer a different qb. And yes Donovan McNabb is one of my choices. Perhaps this was the wrong thread to try and share my thoughts. :ha:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar