PFF 2013 Position Ratings for the Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by XO, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I'm expecting a 1500+ yard year with Greene taking some carries.

2. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

I couldn't care less what his stats are, I just want the team to win games. I don't take solace in his stats, especially not when the team isn't winning. He's not AP, and he's not capable of carrying the team to the playoffs, he's proven that. Being heavily dependent on a RB to be the focal point of an offense has got 8-8 at best written all over it.

3. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

He's carried the offense before.

4. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

There is no one player who can take any team to the playoffs alone, including QBs. You have to have a halfway decent rungame, defense, or receivers to go along with him. AP did not take the Vikings to the playoffs alone last year, their defense had a large role as well. Put AP on our team last year and we're not winning more than 8 or 9 games.

When you think of the Titan's glory days, you see a team that wanted to run the ball before anything else with Eddie George. You run the ball, control the clock, control the game. You also play great defense. That's the identity of the Titans.. run the rock all game long, be dominate on defense.

There are three main battles during a game: Run offense, Pass offense, and overall defense. You have to win two of those three battles to make the playoffs. So if we focus on winning the run game and the defensive side of it, we'll be good. CJ is easily good enough for us to win the running aspect of it, especially when you give him the five bulldozers we have for offensive linemen. We're probably not gonna be dominate in the passing aspect this year, so you better believe this will be a run first offense. As long as the D shows up on Sundays, we'll be a 10 win team.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

To what? We're 42-38 since drafting him.

6. RockyTop Fox

Anything above .500 is decent. Eddie George left after 2003, robbing us of an established rushing attack. We went 27-37 until we drafted CJ in 2008. Remember when we made the playoffs in 2007? What carried the team? RUSHING AND DEFENSE. Certainly wasn't VY's measly 2,500 yards and 9 TDs to 17 INTs. We're the Titans. We run the ball and play good defense.

7. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

In 2003 that was the identity of the Titans. I don't see that style today getting the team to the playoffs, especially with our personnel.

That's great in theory, and it's easily said, but we have a long way to go considering what we put on the field last year. I have a hard time believing that a "run first" CJ centric offense (if that's what it is going to be) will be able to compete with teams that have QB's, i.e. teams that are perennially in the playoffs. We did field one of the worst defenses in NFL history last year, so I don't think the defense is good enough quite yet to go to the three yards and a cloud of dust mentality. In order for it to possibly work, CJ is going to have to run hard every down, that's something we haven't seen in two years. So I don't believe they're going to put all of there eggs in the run game basket. I think it will be much more balanced than some think. I do like the idea of implementing the Texans offense, but you need their defense to go along with it. And I don't view the Texans as a "run at all costs" offense.

But if they do decide to design the offense around CJ, like I said, I don't see them eclipsing 8-8. You have to score points no matter how good your defense is (and ours isn't at that level yet), it is too easy for teams around the league to put up points, and that's something that we haven't come by very easily, not to mention defended.

8. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

I'm not getting any jollies out of 8-8 and worse. So I don't really consider that carrying anything.

9. RockyTop Fox

Well Jeez, look at all the teams last season who won by running the ball and playing good D.. Seattle, San Fran, Minnesota, and Washington all had slightly iffy QBs, but they dominated on defense and dominated on the ground. Their QBs made plays when they had to, but in no way led their teams. (exception Kaep in the playoffs, RG3 on occasion.)

That's what we need this season. We need CJ to run for about 1,200-1,400 yards, Green to be a 3rd down conversion machine, and Locker to make a few clutch drives when we need him, which he the has health and the weapons to do so now. Top it off with a solid defense, and we'll make some noise in the AFC. Then once Locker progresses into a franchise QB, then we'll REALLY make some noise.

If we have to field-goal every team to death like in 2008, so be it. :cigar:

10. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

We need that and Jim Harbaugh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar