Pick #16: Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CKTitan, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CKTitan

CKTitan Special Teams Standout

Awesome pick IMO......thoughts?

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Great pick! Much safer than JPP.

3. DjMark

DjMark Camp Fodder

I love this pick!!

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. EZMoney

EZMoney Camp Fodder

I am happy with this pick. Like dude above said, much more safe than JPP. Nice work titans FO.

5. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Titans lucky to get Morgan at No. 16

[​IMG]NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- They may have preferred another defensive end, but the Titans had to be happy to get Georgia Tech’s Derrick Morgan at No. 16 in the first round.

He’ll have ample opportunity to play early as the team sorts through a young group that lost Kyle Vanden Bosch as a free agent and let Jevon Kearse walk as his contract ran out.

Now Morgan will search for a role along with William Hayes, Jacob Ford, Dave Ball and Jason Babin, the journeyman signed as a free agent.

Morgan had 19.5 sacks and 29.5 tackles for a loss in his 39-game career as a Yellow Jacket. Twelve and a half of those sacks came last year as a junior.

Titans defensive line coach Jim Washburn is a top-flight position coach who’s done well developing pass rushers, and they want their defense to be able to rush effectively with only four. Right now they don't have the back end personnel that can allow for much blitzing.

Many estimated Morgan was the top ranked end in this class, but both Brandon Graham (Philly traded to 13 to get him) and Jason Pierre-Paul (Giants at 15) went before Morgan.

The Titans will say Morgan’s the one they prefer of the three. It may be true.

They will address cornerback later in the draft.

6. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Not a pretty pick, but it's a solid pick and i can't complain..

7. Woy

Woy PA's finest.

The #1 guy on my board, realistic wise. Absolutely love the pick.

Best DE in the draft gets to be coached by the best d-line coach in the NFL.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I love the pick! I was so relieved when the Giants selected JPP right before us. I would've been happy with Morgan, Wilson or even Bryant. Morgan was #1 on my list of available players though.

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Guys like Adam Schefter said that the Titans would have preferred Graham or Pierre-Paul (which is consistent with everything we heard before the draft). I'm sure Reinfeldt and Fisher will never admit that, though.

I like the pick. It was the obvious choice and I think it was the right choice. He will be able to step in and produce immediately.

10. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I just don't understand the pick for the Giants. Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka are both studs. Why take a chance on an athletic freak when you have a sure thing with Morgan? I love the Morgan pick, BTW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar