Pick #5 of the 2017 NFL Draft: WR Corey Davis, Western Michigan

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

I'm not sure what you are expecting. The fumble was bad, but people are knocking him because Mariota can't hit the broad side of a barn on a lot of plays where he's trying to throw to the sideline. Davis can't form chemistry with someone as inconsistent in his sideline throws as Mariota, and that is obviously where they are trying to use him the most.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. TitanWally

TitanWally Starter

Agreed.

The catch Davis made in the the 2nd quarter on about our own 20 yard line was good. He completed his route, turned and the ball was on him. Great reactions and could easily have been an incompletion.

Never mind the wide open drop Matthews made!

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

No catch Davis makes looks smooth to me including those that are on target. And I’d estimate he’s completed the catch on one third of balls that hit him in the hands. That’s NOT a good catch radius irrespective of who is throwing the ball. The fumble was bone headed.

The guy is a rookie really still in his first few live games with very few camp reps. It’s understandable albeit disappointing he’s not performing at a #5 pick level. We should see his performance continue to improve- just at a lot slower rate than we all hoped it would.

I haven’t seen enough consistency yet to convince me his ceiling was worth the pick.

4. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Could we ease up on the hyperbole? That is not even close to being true.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Let's all just relax.

He's a rookie with little reps. For the most part in this league, year 1 is a giant learning experience.

I'm not worried about CD at all.

• High Five High Five x 4
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
  6. Riverman

Nope. I said estimate. He’s catching 2 of 5 and 4 of 10 targets the last 2 games. Not all of that on Mariota by a long shot. As a WR if it hits your hands you’re expected to catch it.

And I said he’s still too early in development to expect much from him. But at #5 pick, it is a natural expectation to be getting more production from him.

7. Riverman

But that’s for all WR’s. A #5 overall pick is expected to be a solid contributor right away.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

His targets are increasing every game. This is good to see especially from a coaching staff that values WRs so little

9. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Davis is credited with 0 drops on the year. A target in no way signifies a ball which hits the receiver in the hands. Those numbers just show the inefficiency when Mariota is trying to get the ball to Davis.

Which is understandable, as they have been trying to force the ball to Davis on the sidelines, which Mariota has showed no consistency doing at any point in his career. Davis was one of the best receivers in college running out of the slot, and I'd like to see him run more routes up the seams, where Mariota has been far more effective throwing the ball. I understand they are trying to expand Mariota's skillset, but it's just inefficient and ineffective at this point.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/tennessee-titans-team-stats?season=2017&week=0&category=RECEIVING

10. Riverman

That drop category is very subjective. I know I’ve seen several catches he should have made. And if you’ll notice, Davis has a significantly lower completion percentage of all our WR’s. Same QB, different completion %. Either he’s not getting open, or he’s not catching it. Doesn’t add up that Mariota throwing worse to him than other WR’s.

Again- I’m not down on Davis- yet anyway. Just pointing out that at #5 overall we aren’t getting the production we should for multiple reasons. I’m hopeful we do. I haven’t the seen consistency in production that would make me feel comfortable that it is simply a matter of time. Hopefully we do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar