Player Compensation Concept

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by pettso, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pettso

pettso Starter

To preface this, I know it would never happen... but...

How would you feel about players being compensated based on two factors:

1) Performance
    2) Fan support

Pay determined at the end of the year, no other factors considered.

Each team gets a budget, say $50 million (not sure what it is currently) and at the end of the year, a committee of coaches/players from other teams sits down and grades the players from each team based on their performance that year compared to their peers (other players on their team).

Pro-bowl style voting also opens up that can give certain players a boost for being marketable (faces of an organization) and helping the NFL build a better image.

Some pros:
    - It will promote balanced teams. The worse your team is, the more you can - as a good player - get paid.
    - It will get rid of Haynesworth/Jamarcus Russel like catastrophes.
    - Add another incentive to promote high-level play

I realize it's a random topic but it's one I found interesting to think about.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

How do you account for injuries in a sport where the average career is less than four years?

3. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

you nailed it when you said it would never happen

4. pettso

pettso Starter

Guarantee them previous year's salary based on the number of games they miss or pay them a bonus on next year's salary? Keep a budget of $5-10MM for injured players every season?

For example:

You play 8 games, you're injured for 8. 50% of your compensation is equivalent to what you got last year, the other 50% is based on your performance in those 8 games.

Edit: You could theoretically create a model that pays players based on performance, marketability and protects their interests in the case of injury, which is obviously very common in Football.

Edit2: Thanks TheSureThings, appreciate you letting me know how correct I was in my assumptions. :)

5. TheBisco

TheBisco Pro Bowler

Yeah but consider all of the stupid proles who bought all of their CJ jerseys after watching their first episode of Titans on 2 or their first highlight reel on YouTube, and all of the sly thrifty foxes like myself who converted their Tony Brown jersey into a Klug one. Idiots get represented and smart people go uncounted. It's too much like the real world.

6. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

Fan support is terrible for compensation. People like James Harrison would get compensated quite well for the wrong reasons.

Also kills any reason to go to a small market team. If you though the Titans suffered as a small market before, just wait until players can't get widespead fan support because they're on a smaller market team.

CJ's 2k year would probably garner him less $ than DeMarco Murray's season this year.

Also how would injured rookies be compensated? By draft pick? Now you're including a provision that is just as blind in it's compensation as the current system when addressing a guy who's the next Russell who gets injured his first year then craps the bed the next few.

What is the policy on players who play injured and thus produce less? This system would encourage players to sit more games with injuries just to get their guaranteed injury money.

LOTS of holes in this.

7. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

based on your formula, chris johnson is worth $7 munchak is worth $2

8. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

So Tim Tebow would make like $40 billion a year?

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I'd go further and deduct pay based on terrible performances.

If you suck I want to take your money and give it to someone else or give it to charity.Amano and Scott should be paying the Titans , not the other way around.

10. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Think about this.. if players got paid the way they play... and got paid more for a win... you'd see some vicious football. i dont think that fits the nfls mold

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar