Playing it too safe with Young?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GoTitans3801, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

If you pay "any attention"? I'd say very few people can actually watch the game in real time and determine the read/reads of the QB, and that's if that is the only thing that they're looking for. Yes, if you replay it looking for the reads, you can certainly pick up on some of them. But come on, it's not like it's the focus of the camera angle on tv. Also, a lot of us are actually at the games, which makes it even harder to pick up on the reads. Don't act like it's as easy as looking at the formation, in real time, it's not that simple.

Second, do you really think Vince is dumb? I'm not trying to argue that his game is based on dissecting defenses and strategy, but do you really think that he can't eventually get it done? We can debate the wonderlic score all we want, but while I'm not going to argue that he's brilliant, I certainly think he can do his job within a system.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Vince is doing everything right and no blame should be put on him. But is it all Vince's fault? I don't think so. I think it's a combination of many things. Vince makes mistakes, lots of them. Sometimes he focuses in on one route. I don't think that he does that all the time, or even on the majority of passing plays. I also think that our lower than average WR talent effects his efficiency. I don't think all of the "communication problems" are on him. I also think that sometimes our coaches are not putting him in positions to succeed. That last INT last week is a good example. Vince should have thrown it away, that was his mistake. But he was put in a position where he was throwing into traffic, and I think there were better options to get him into space.

Let's also keep in mind that when we opened things up, put him in shotgun, and asked him to make plays with his arm in the second half, he did. His completion percentage is up almost 10 percent this year. He's got quite a ways to go, and I'm ready to see more progress than the junk that we've seen for the past few weeks. But let's calm down on the "he's dumber than a post, can't throw the ball, and is a miserable failure" stuff, it's just too over the top.

2. Nine

Nine Starter

I won't pretend to know what's changed this year, but there may be something to the premise that Vince isn't seeing his second and third reads.

The crazy part is, he did this quite consistently last year, negating the theory that he's incapable of doing it. Remember the TD pass to Drew Bennett against the Colts? Third read. His TD pass to Bobby Wade against the Texans....that was the second or third read, as well. Seems like the Brandon Jones TD in Buffalo was a late read, as well. And these are just off the top of my head....I'm sure there were plenty more non-TD examples where Vince went through his progression and found the open receiver.

So what has changed this year? I dunno. Maybe he's consciously trying to avoid INT's....and as a result, he's less willing to up and let it fly when he gets an opportunity. Perhaps he's been coached to not give up on his first option too quickly...and as a result, he's hesitant to move on to the second and third reads until it's too late.

I won't pretend to be an offensive guru, or to know anything about coaching up a good QB. But I do know what I've seen....and have a hard time saying a guy can't do something when he's already done it time and time again.

Vince has already shown that he can go through progressions, and that he can read defenses. For whatever reason, he's taken a step back this year, and doesn't appear to be seeing the things he saw last year. But to say that he can't do it, or that he'll never progress beyond what we're seeing this year.....that's not an observation; that's an agenda.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Can't we all agree just agree that boogeymen exist? There are bad things that happen out there that can't be easily explained by logic. So let's all just agree, Vince Young is a CURSE victim. Yes, the madden curse is real!

And wanna really be frightened....

look at the victims...

1) Garrison Hearst
    2) Dorsey Levens
    3) Eddie George
    4) Dante Culpepper
    5) Marshall Faulk
    6) Michael Vick
    7) Ray Lewis
    8) Donovan McNabb
    9) Shaun Alexander

Ok... so Eddie had a good year, but we all know what happened in the playoff game, and I'd say that's one of the worst things to individually be embarrassed in a major game like that.

But the really scary thing... None of these players ever returned to their pre-cover star form. Not one. Ray still plays well, but clearly age has slowed his game some....

So, I'm scared... Vince is so young to be on the cover, what if it's not just this season? :scared:

I do think we should draft a QB between rounds 3-4 next year. I know we have bigger needs, and I do think Vince will have a good career. But we're gonna need a backup for awhile anyway and injury is always a possibility. And with a competent GM we should be able to trade a QB away for, ya know, more than a 5th or 6th rounder.

4. Tungtide

Tungtide Just Another Freak

You know, the stats aren't impressive, and perhaps we were spoiled last year... and perhaps there's something to the notion that the coaches are
    reigning him in... and perhaps he's having a harder time getting comfortable
    since defenses started scheming to shut him down. The one thing I do know
    is he is very young, and he is learning each week on the largest stage in
    all of sports- the NFL. Imagine yourself in your early 20s being paid insane money to play a sport where your fans can watch you win a game and still can find nothing positive to say about you- and then the next week watch
    you lose while playing better and still have nothing positive to say about
    you.
    I realize he is being paid very well to suffer our criticizm but perhaps we should give him a chance to grow into the job a little longer before deciding
    he is a bust. Remember, we are 6-3....It's been a long time since we had a
    record like that.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Great article gunny and i agree with it 100%.

I think it is about time we took the diapers off some of the posters here because some of their comments about vince are infantile.

6. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

The way I see it, it's all equal among the three of them. However, if you take away the coaching and receiving aspect(i.e. they're doing all they can)..it helps hide Young's flaws. That's why the coaching and receiving argument continue to appear. Things would be different if the coaching staff did everything they could and the receivers were better - because Young's error of % would be 100%. But they aren't, so the argument will always be present until one or both of those change. The theory: Decrease in coaching and receiving error percentage leads to a decrease in Young's error percentage (i.e. see last year). See...percentages are fun. :))

DISCLAIMER: deeluxx, this isn't a personal attack on you or anyone for that matter...thought I'd put that out there since a lot of people around here lately have taken post quoting as personal attacks.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I often feel like I need to wear a diaper when I watch Vince because some of the decisions he makes are cause to **** my pants.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I can't believe Roll complimented me.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What did you do before you were a football analyst sec? Were you good at it? Well stick with it because as an analyst you are a walking cluster$%^&!

Gunny took a small piece of information, took some initiative and kicked some ***!

We need more men like gunny!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QqM_tPumTZI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QqM_tPumTZI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar