playmaking WRs

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Fry, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Didn't Rae Currath murder his girlfirend?...

2. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

Yes, Mr. Carruth is currently in jail. So for all the anti-Pac guys out there, at least our 1st round draft pick has yet to kill anyone!

3. Pass Rush

Pass Rush Guest

Usually the first-round WR busts are the ones with behavioural/substance problems. Look at Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Koren Robinson etc. Guys like Fitzgerald who didn't have problems with themselves turned out fine. Therefore it is much less of a risk if the WR we draft has good character like Calvin Johnson (not that we'll get to draft CJ). The only way that a receiver who has problems with character will straighten up and fly right is if they drop from the spot they'd normally go at and lose a ton of bonus money (eg Laveranues Coles and to a lesser extent Randy Moss, who did alright the first couple years, if he'd dropped further he'd've been better off).

The WRs in this draft appear to be good people, we shouldn't have many problems if we draft one first-round. But we should not draft any wideouts after Rd 2.

I always thought Carruth was the one who got shot. Who was that?

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

5. Pass Rush

Pass Rush Guest

Oh right. I knew it was a Panther anyhow.

6. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Meachem is a guy that will shoot up the draft charts when the scouts get a good look at his speed and physical abilities. I think he climbs to the late 1st round.

7. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

Guys like Troy Edwards, Sylvester Morris, Rod Gardner, Ashley Lelie, Michael Jenkins, Rashon Woods? All first round picks, all decent character guys. Once again, great college numbers, ran good 40 times, thought to have decent hands, decent route running skills, etc. All the things you look for in a first round pick. The behavioral issues guys are the ones that get the pub. The other guys just fade away or die slow deaths as a number 4 or 5 receiver

I'm not saying that by drafting a guy after the first round your going to neccessarily get some hot shot receiver. What I am saying, is that too often first round picks are the guys that get drafted because people focus too much on their upside, especially receivers. We've taken are chances on guys in the first round the last two years, and it has worked out splendidly. Let's not press our luck. This team still has too many needs to take a chance on a WR in the first round. I think you draft the highest rated player on your board at a position of need. If it happens to be a receiver, then go with it.

But, I think if you stand back and really look at our team without blue tinted glasses, we need a lot more then a receiver to really push us over the top next year. I mean, our defense is not exactly the 1970's Steelers back there, and you only have to look as far as the Colts to see where a lot of offense and no defense gets you. Go with the solid, but not spectacular pick. The guy who you know is going to be a good, maybe great player. Not the guy who is either going to be either the greatest player ever or the next Mike Williams. Because more often than not.... Your going to end up with the Mike Williams.

8. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

It all depends on what happens and who falls. I can honestly see why we shouldn't select a WR, but we may not have a choice. If we win out, we could be somehwere in the 18-20 area. That doesn't leave too many quality defensive players on the board and normally results in a BPA pick. I know we need to upgrade the Defense, but with 40mil to spend, we can take care of most of that via FA and then go to the draft to plug in whats left/add depth.

9. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

come on now not many good players left at pick 18-20 listen to your self.

10. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Then why even draft if you got pick 18 or later and why even draft rounds 2-7 if theres not many quality players left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar