Playoff Implication Game Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

We needed the Bengals to lose. It was almost funny watching them trying to copy what the Jags and Titans did to the Colts. What won't be funny is if we don't make the playoffs, and have to watch several teams we have beaten get in.

2. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

We really need to cheer for the Chiefs to win out and for Denver to lose 1 game because then the Chiefs keep the Broncos out of the wild card mix because they have a better division record. Similar to how we will beat out the Jags if we are both tied at 9-7.

We also need to cheer for the Steelers to win out because they are the only team that can help us beat the Jets in any of the tie breaking scenarios. By winning out they would possibly be able to keep the Bengals out of the wild card picture but that would be decided by % of common games because they would tie the H2H and % Division tie breakers.

So eventhough it sounds wierd to cheer for the Chiefs and Steelers that is what needs to be done to give us our best chance of making the playoffs.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Bengals play Broncos next week. I think we need the Broncos to win.

4. ezeblazin

ezeblazin Starter

Good point about the Chiefs winning out, I didn't realise that situation.

However, the steelers winning out does nothing for us except officially eliminate us. They have a better common games record than us. I'm not sure how they would help us get a tiebreaker over the Jets.

The one thing i am pretty sure about, is that as long as we win next week, the ONLY way we can be eliminated before week 17 is If the Steelers, Broncos, and Raiders win.

5. ezeblazin

ezeblazin Starter

Oh wait....I forgot that the common games have to be with all of the teams tied. This is really giving me a headache.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

What does Oakland winning have to do with anything?

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Your telling me.

8. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I'd just assume have Cincy win and then hope that the Steelers can beat Cincy rather than hoping for the 49ers to win in Denver.

The quirky thing about the tie-breakers is how a team like Denver that has the best AFC record by far of all the other teams bidding for the playoffs can be blocked out of wild card contention by another team in their division because division record counts more than conference record when trying to figure out the wild cards.

The only way we pass the Broncos is if they lose out or end up tied with KC at 9-7

The only way we pass the Jets is if they lose out or if the Steelers win out.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

For the most part we have reached agreement. I think we have our fingers on what has to happen now. It is doable. When you really boil it down, and you assume someone has to lose a game at some point, it's not a slew of strange occurences to get us in. It should come down to one game we have absolutely no control over that makes or breaks us in week 17. The only question is what game is it going to be. We donot control our own destiny, obviously, but we are 1 game out people, with two games to play, and that makes it possible. To a certain extent, we control the majority of our fate because we've gotten within striking distance.

10. ezeblazin

ezeblazin Starter

If oakland and Denver win, that means that Denver will clinch one of the spots. What I was thinking before was that the winner of Pitt and Cinci would clinch the other spot, but there's so many other factors involved.

So we just have to win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar