Please Get #28 And His Dreadlocks Out Of The Starting Defense

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Mex#1TitanFan, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

There was bad play by individualy defenders, that you can't blame Schwartz for and the blitz was a good call (although I wouldn't be surprised if Finnegan wasn't supposed to blitz but did so anyway :brow:).

However repeatedly through the game we saw too little pressure on the quarterback and too big cushions for the receivers and generally poor coverage. Once in a while that can be attributed to bad play by the players, but this consistently it has to be the scheming.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Gotcha.

So Schwartz is responsible when our front four can't get pressure on Pennington for stretches at a time?

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Yes. At the very least he's responsible for not calling any blitzes to help the front 4 get pressure. You can't always rely on your 4 linemen to get pressure, just like you can't rely on your dbacks to have coverage if there is no pressure.

4. TitanJeff

I saw a number of blitzes Sunday. Some worked. Some didn't. I suppose those that did are due to players making plays and those that didn't are due to Schwartz. ;)

BTW, if the Titans front four can't get pressure without the blitz, they'll never be a top defense.

5. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

you guys are right, lets have DONNIE NICKEY as our #1, how could we be so stupid, or heres a better idea, lets move pac man to saftey

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

No, if a blitz works I credit Schwartz for calling it and the player for executing it, if it doesn't work it depends on the situation whether it's Schwartz fault for calling a wrong blitz or if it's bad execution by the player.

And name me 5 teams that get consistent pressure without blitzing? Atlanta and Jacksonville were on my list until injuries, I honestly don't know who else.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

atlanta, jacksonville, carolina and tampa bay. im sure there are a few others.

8. TitanJeff

I see a lot of situations where the Titans are in the perfect defense and a player melts down and the finger gets pointed at Schwartz.

Play a game with me here. Give me any big play from last week you feel was Schwartz's fault for calling the wrong scheme.

Every top pass defense has a DL that can get pressure without bringing a blitz.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I don't have the game on tape so I can't tell you exactly when it happened, but no a couple of their redzone visits our cornerbacks gave 5-7 yards cushions to receivers with the ball at the 5!!! As another poster pointed out, we're lucky they didn't just audible to a quickslant for an easy 6! That is one example of bad scheming. Also I believe we should have blitzed Pennington a lot more than we did, certainly Bulluck and Thornton should be able to get pressure on the edges, but I didn't see it.

You still didn't name me 5 teams that can consistently bring pressure with only the front 4.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar