Please Get #28 And His Dreadlocks Out Of The Starting Defense

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Mex#1TitanFan, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The ball was on the two when it was snapped. No way was a CB 5 - 7 yards off the LOS.

You continue to point to a poor scheme on a play the Jets didn't even score on. You have no way of knowing if Pennington even gets the pass away if LaBoy isn't held. Now why would I find that pretty shaky evidence? I'd think if poor scheme was such a factor, you could name a dozen such plays that resulted in much more production by the Jets.

Oh, and as for the importance of getting pressure from your 4-3, check out some of the DL players on these top defenses:

Panthers
    Bucs
    Colts
    Jacksonville
    Eagles
    Giants
    Ravens
    Bears

You'll find players who are in the top 10 in sacks and Pro Bowlers down the line. These teams still blitz but they are effective in getting pressure without it. If they were dependent on the blitz to get pressure, they'd not be top defenses.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

the ravens and eagles blitz like crazy

3. TitanJeff

It's getting silly, guys. The Titans had just blitzed and got a fumble on the Jets previous possession. The Jets were three and out the possession before that. Then you blame Schwartz for Hill biting on a fake that cost them a 38-yard gain on the game-winning drive?

I give up. Blame Collins for the offense. Blame Schwartz for the defense.

4. Fry

FINALLY :))

5. Fry

i dont blame schwartz for hill's mistake. i blame him for being the coordinator of a defense that continually gives up game winning drives at the end of games when we desperately need a stop.

we've had different players. we've had different opponents and we've even added a few new position coaches while he's been here. the only constant is schwartz.

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

No, for the THIRD time, on a play from the Titans 4 yard line, the CB's were standing in the endzone, that's a 5 yard cushion!!

True, but you can't for sure otherwise either. And I feel the Jets had significant production to point towards scheming issues.

Of that list I'll give you Panthers, Bucs, Jags and Bears. The Giants have 2 good DE's but their line as such is nothing special, the Raven's and Eagle's are not unknown to bringing the blitz often and the Colts defensive line is only good because their offence puts up large numbers forcing opposing teams to pass often.

We have KVB, Albert Haynesworth, Randy Starks and Robaire Smith, who other teams would love to have. Our only weakspot is Laboy and even he's not that bad.

7. TitanJeff

And bad defenses.

Unless you count '02 and '03. :brow:

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

maybe thats why the Ravens shut-out Tampa Bay

9. Fry

i didnt have nfl sunday ticket for the '02 season, so i cant comment for that year.

i still dont think that '03 defense was all that great. a lot of teams were passing in the second half because a 28-13 deficit.

10. TitanJeff

And all you can come up with as an example is a play where the corners were playing four yards off the LOS on a down where the Jets needed four yards in order to score? How would you have felt about the technique if McCareins fought off a jam and caught one in the corner of the endzone?

The Eagles and Ravens get it done with their DL more than most. Freeney would be a stud on any team.

Yet, with the exception of KVB and Hayesworth for stretches, we didn't get much pressure on Pennington all game long. What does that tell you?

What a blitz often does is leave holes in the secondary. Pennington, and his short drops, made the reads and burned the Titans a few times when a blitz didn't get to him by hitting something quick in the vacated areas.

Bottom line, blitzing is effective if used strategically. The Titans do use it more than I think you give them credit for. But the pressure the DL gets so that a couple of them require double teams just makes the blitz that much more effective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar