polian is a cap genius.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

POLIAN POOPS ON ROOKIE POOL

The Colts have only one unsigned pick -- third-round linebacker Freddie Keiaho. And because the rookie pool increased by only five percent over 2005 while the rookie minimum salaries jumped by $45,000, the Colts apparently don't have enough room left on their rookie pool to give Keiaho the kind of deal his agent wants.

Colts G.M. Bill Polian has publicly blamed the system for the resulting impasse.

"This is a completely non-functional rookie system in this new Collective Bargaining Agreement. It has forced clubs to do things they never, ever would have done under the old system," Polian said.

"I can't imagine how it was constructed -- certainly not with the input of any football people. It's a problem which we understand. I'm not sure if we can solve it or not. We're going to work on that [Sunday night]. We've had communication and it continues.

"But the structure that [Keiaho's agent] wants is impossible under this system. I understand why he wants it and he's got every reason to ask for it, but it's impossible to do.

"It's the fault of the system. Not us or the agent."

We're not so sure we agree with Polian. Sure, the system is messed up. But it's the responsibility of every team to hold back enough pool space to permit every deal to be signed, especially as to the day one picks.

And it's also the responsibility of the agents to get the deals done, especially with the rookie pool triggering a game of musical chairs this year as to the remaining rookie pool money.

But regardless of how they got to this point, we agree with Polian's basic assessment -- with every other draft pick signed, a finite amount of rookie pool money remaining, and the 25-percent rule that limits the extent to which the deal can grow in each subsequent season, the Colts and Keiaho don't have many options.

They can do a deal based on the remaining rookie pool room. Or Keiaho can sign the one-year tender for $275,000. Or he can sit out the year and re-enter the draft.

2. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Spend a buck and hire a financial analyst to crunch the numbers. To blame a system that you were aware of is ridiculous.

3. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

But haven't you heard Arrow? Polian is a master and the Colts will never be in salary cap hell. Nobody knows how he does it, but he's got it all figured out.

4. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

BR I think you forgot the

:rolleyes:

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

so why can the other 31 GMs manage to do it?

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I find it funny the blame is placed elsewhere...
    Must be the way things are done in Indy. :ha:

7. Slipjack

Slipjack Guest

A while back we had a thread Reese vs Polian. I said then that Polian will blow up their cap and move on. With the new CBA it may bail the SOB out, but I hope not.

8. Because none of the rest of them are geniuses...

9. metal957

metal957 Starter

Nothin like people blaming other for their mess ups :sad2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar