Polian...or Reese?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by wino, Mar 3, 2006.

?
  1. Bill Polian

20.0%
  2. Floyd Reese

80.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wino

wino True 2 the shoe..GO COLTS

Lots of Polian/Colts bashing on this board. That's okay...I expect to see that here.

But I don't see much Reese bashing, despite the fact you've been in cap hell for a couple of years, probably will be for another year or two, and McNair counts $24 million against your salary cap...a ridiculous amount for a guy nearing the end of his career (IMO).

So...if you had your choice between the two, who would be your GM?

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Can I get back to you in '07 on that? :suspect:

3. wino

Sure, but what's your feeling today?

I'm not trying to be a jerk...just asking what I think is an interesting question. There are plenty of Colts fans that don't like Polian. I'm just wondering if there are a lot of Titans fans that don't like Reese, and if they'd consider Polian an 'upgrade' or not.

4. maximus

maximus Starter

While McNair might count 24 million against the cap, it is because McNair's contract has been constantly renegioted over several years, adding all of the money into one huge cap hit.
    Polian spending money like Dan Snyder is going to kill the Colts, especially since the Colts wont win a SuperBowl as long as Peyton is QB

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

"At issue, for now, are roster bonuses of $9 million due Manning and $10 million due Harrison. The Colts intended to implement a normal bookkeeping maneuver that converts a roster bonus into a signing bonus and prorating it over the next four years. That would have lowered Manning's '06 cap number from $17.766 million to $10 million and Harrison's cap hit from $14.4 million to $6.9 million.

Suddenly, whether the team can re-sign running back Edgerrin James, one of 11 players who will become an unrestricted free agent Friday, might be the least of its worries. If Manning and Harrison count a combined $32 million against the cap, the Colts probably will have to jettison several players"

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm not that familiar with Polian or the Colts cap situation enough to comment on his job. No doubt the Colts have done very well keeping their talent. But it'll likely catch up to them as it did the Titans in time.

I will say Reese's performance, IMO, has taken a few shots lately. Many of his early picks have had injury issues and you have a number of guys like:

Albert Haynesworth - first round
    Tank Williams - second round
    Tyrone Calico - second round
    Andre Woolfolk - first round

who should be the core of the team but have been nursing major injuries too often and/or have just been disappointments. Fair or not, the finger gets pointed at Reese.

But you have to add to the mix Reese finding a Justin McCarein here or there.

Then you have the cap issue that could not be avoided, IMO. Reese kept a competitive team together as long as he could. But many question whether Reese kept it together too long or should have let some aging vets go sooner. You know what they say about hindsight.

Add to the mix the Godfrey release which many say eventually cost the Titans any compensation for Kearse because Eddie George, Mason and Rolle were unwilling to rework their deals. In hindsight, it was maybe a blessing in disguise.

The Pacman pick will take a couple of years before we know if it was good or bad. Same for a lot of the previous draft class. The future of the Titans depends a lot on what Troupe, LaBoy, Odom and Starks do.

And now you have a QB on the backside of his career sucking up 25% of the team's cap when it desperately needs free agency help on defense. Could Reese have avoided that? Maybe. But how?

We must remember Reese is the guy who brought in KVB. So it ain't all bad. He also has a seventh-rounder who looks to be the future as a #2 corner. There's value. :brow:

Offset that with what looks like a mistake in bringing in Henry.

So that's why I say ask again in '07. :lol:

7. wino

And Reese was the GM that did that. So the question is: Would you take Polian over Reese? Your vote in the poll reveals your answer. Thanks.

A comparison to Dan Snyder is a little far-fetched, IMO. Okay...veeery far-fetched.
    And your hatred (jealousy?) of Manning really isn't the topic...it's about the GMs and the job they're doing. But thanks for the input.

8. wino

It still remains to be seen if the Colts get some relief from this or not. With a new CBA these numbers could come down significantly. Even if they don't, though, I'll bet I'm happier paying $18 for Peyton than you are for paying $24 for Steve.

9. wino

Jeff,

Every GM finds diamonds in the rough. Polian has certainly found his share, too. He gets a lot of love for his late-round (2nd day) picks. He's not big on spending lots of money on free agents, and when he does there are mixed results. Tyrone Poole and Corey Simon come to mind....each at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Thanks for your response. I'm not real familiar with the Titans situation, just as you are not familiar with the Colts situation. So a little sharing of insight is kinda nice.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Polian and Reese can both suck it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar