Poll: Round 1

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by chamgel2, Jan 9, 2011.

?
  1. QB

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Defense

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I thought this would be interesting since it seems like the board is close to being split. In round 1, do you want us to take a QB, or take an impact defensive player. The arguments for each:

QB: This is a QB driven league, and the recent success of franchise rookie QBs like Ryan, Flacco and Sanchez have shown that drafting a QB in round 1 doesn't have to mean rebuilding. All 3 went to the playoffs their rookie years, all 3 are in the playoffs this season. The main question here: is there a franchise QB in this draft worthy of the #8 pick? Locker, Gabbert, Newton, and Mallett are all likely to be first round choices. Does Fisher put his fate in any of their hands?

Defense: This draft is loaded up front with impact defensive players..Fairley, Peterson, Bowers, Dareas, Paea, Amukamara..it is likely at least one of those falls to us. Any could come in and start for us immediately. Taking a defensive player first would likely mean we go with a QB like McNabb, Orton, or Kolb for 2011. Our defense has holes at every level, and the quickest way to the a successful 2011 may be to take a veteran QB, and fill the holes in the defense through the draft.

2. VA_Titans

VA_Titans Camp Fodder

This is tough but I can see Tennessee going QB or Defense. I'd like to get Mallot but if he's off the board I'd go D

3. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I loved Mallett....but there has been some character concerns come out about him that will make the Titans pass unless they can be proven 100% to be untrue.

4. VA_Titans

VA_Titans Camp Fodder

I just see Mallet playing ball for us next year if he's still on the board. I don't think Tennessee can afford to pass on him

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

If the new CBA isn't agreed ASAP we will have to draft a QB.

There are no trades allowed until the the pre-season training camp in August if there's no CBA.

Right now if a QB is available we have no choice but to draft one

6. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

If his character concerns are true they can. Attitude, work ethic, and a drug addiction,....If those are true we absolutely can afford to pass on him. If we go with a QB at #8 it is likely to be Locker.

7. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I agree with this, if the CBA isn't agreed to we would have to draft a QB or sign one of the available free agents...assuming McNabb is cut you would be looking at McNabb, Hasselbeck, Pennington, Collins. Another interesting name as a back-up is Billy Volek, but I doubt we would bring him back.

8. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

In my mock in progress, I have Locker going 7 overall to the Niners. I have a gut feeling that Harbaugh will see Locker as having similar skills as his protege Luck. As a QB guru Harbaugh will love the challenge of molding Locker into a franchise QB, and Locker has a very similar skill set to Luck.

That's the only QB I see going in the first round, however the Skins at 10 and wherever the Seahawks end up drafting, could take Newton.

Buffalo will go after VY and they'll draft defense.

At this point the only guy I suppose I could stomach taking at 8 is Locker, but I hope we end up going with Prince or Peterson.

9. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

You and I are in full agreement here. Although I add Dareus and Paea to the list. Our dline has to be addressed in one of the first 2 rounds unless Haynesworth is brought back. Id be more then happy with Prince (Peterson will likely go to Denver with Champ leaving) in round 1 and Marvin Austin round 2. The mock I did yesterday had us taking Paea round 1, and Raheem Morris round 2. With the news that Nnamdi will be released, I would love for us to land him and take the best DT available in round 1.

10. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I could see that happening, as far as Paea or Dareus, at this point we need so much help anything is realistically possible.

Frankly I don't Haynesworth coming back, he's burned bridges with the organization and the league knows he's damaged goods. I see him having a hard time getting work if the Skins release him, especially with a lack of a CBA.

It's really rare for us to be in a position to draft a shutdown corner, but at 8 we really have a shot to get one. I don't think we can let that opportunity pass.

I'd freak if we got Nnamdi, that would really show that Bud is in it to win it. Based on track record though, I can't see that happening.

In a perfect world, one in which I control the Titans, and where Bud really wants to win NOW!

Sign Nnamdi, Logan Mankins, Chad Greenway, Stewart Bradley and Plaxico Burress.

Re-sign Babin, Harris and KC.

Trade Finny to Denver and a 5th round pick for Orton and trade Amano.

Cut Hope and Gage, oh and Nickey of course.

Let Scaife, Tulloch, Ford, Thornton, and Moss walk. We should receive good compensatory picks as a result.

Draft:
    1. CB - Prince
    2. S - Rahim Moore
    3. QB - Christian Ponder
    4. OLB - Mason Foster
    4 comp. DE - Ryan Winterswyk
    5. Traded

Starters:

CB: Prince, Nnamdi
    SS: Griffin
    FS: Moore
    DE: Morgan, Babin
    DT: Jones, Brown
    MLB: Bradley
    OLB: Greenway, McGrath

T: Stewart, Roos
    G: Mankins, Scott
    C: Harris
    QB: Orton/KC
    WR: Britt, Burress/Williams, slot Washington/Hawk
    RB: CJ
    FB: Sarge
    TE: Stevens/Cook

Again, getting those free agents would be costly, but we'd also save quite a bit in salary by losing our free agents and with the cutting of VY, Hope and Gage. This really is possible but would take a large commitment from Bud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar