Poll: Which of the Day Two draft picks do you like best?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by A.D., May 1, 2016.

?
  1. DE Kevin Dodd

20.7%
  2. NT Austin Johnson

31.0%
  3. RB Derrick Henry

32.2%
  4. S Kevin Byard

16.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRayStay

JRayStay Starter

Really? I got sick of opposing QBs converting 3rd and 20s over and through our secondary. Especially for TDs.
    I believe having Byard with his ball skills at deep safety puts a stop to that crap.

2. kenny

kenny Starter

TBH I am having a hard time seeing where some of these guys will make a big impact. I guess I would go with Johnson as he has the chance to be on the field for more snaps. He could actually beat out Woods to start at NT.

Byard would be my next pick. He has a long shot at beating out Rishard Johnson to start if he is excellent. Even if he doesn't I believe he will get more playing time in sub packages than the rest of the picks. Robinson seems to be in love with the kid. I really like his production & football I.Q.

According to Mularkey an ideal snap count for Henry is going to be maybe 8/game. He may be able to max those out into production; but it is a long shot IMO. If Murray is ineffective maybe Henry gets the start IF Mularkey can get over his old school stand by your veteran mentality.

Dodd is playing behind Morgan & Orakpo. If one of them goes down he could become a big factor. Even if he gets substantial playing time in sub packages; I doubt he makes as much of an impact as the others. When was the last time a rookie pass rusher lit it up in his rookie season playing in sub packages?

I understand this is the time for optimism, but I am trying to temper my expectations this year. I see a real chance that some of these guys are going to be better as depth players. Maybe starters in year 2 or 3 rather than making an impact this year. We REALLY need depth at these positions.

Hopefully this is the worst case scenario & I am just being a "glass half empty" type of guy today. Even if this is the worst case scenario; this draft makes this a much improved team.

3. xhrr

xhrr Starter

Are you talking in Tennesee or league wide because a number of rookie pass rushers made immediate impacts as sub package/nickle rushers. They are basically starters since the game has evolved into a pass happy league and much of the time defense is playing in nickle formations. It is why you see teams placing such an emphasis on pass rushers, smaller LBs, and safety's with cover ability. Idk how you can say that not to mention neither have been extremely durable.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. kenny

kenny Starter

Which rookie pass rusher that played solely in sub packages have turned in great sack production?? Yes, much of the defensive snaps are played in nickel these days. But who can you name that has made an impact for his team as a rookie playing in those sub packages??

I am not asking to argue. I legitimately want to know. I am drawing a blank. It would be nice to be able to hear that. I am not suggesting you are wrong. I am asking.

5. xhrr

xhrr Starter

If looking solely at 3-4 OLB Preston Smith posted 8 last season. He's actually eerily similar to Dodd.

Smith of Baltimore posted 5.5
    Bud Dupree - 4
    Shane Ray - 4

Aaron Lynch had 6 for SF in 2014

Those numbers aren't eye popping but they make a difference. Khalil Mack had 4 sacks as a rookie but he definitely made a difference.

I'm not expecting 10+ sacks but I expect him to effect the passing game and gather a few along the way.

6. JBC

JBC Starter

Don't forget about Bruce Irvin. He had 8 sacks his rookie year (2012) as a situational pass rusher.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. kenny

kenny Starter

So your evidence that I am wrong is 27 sacks from 5 different guys. I do not see it. There are 32 teams. Each of which played 16 games. Bud Dupree had 4 and actually started for Pit in some games.

I am sorry, but I do not see this as impact guys. As you said AT LEAST 50% of the time these guys were on the field as rookies. It is just not common for them to have impact numbers.

I am not saying it can't or won't happen. Maybe Dodd comes in & is the exception to the norm. I hope so. Either way, you can never have enough good pass rushers. I just do not see him making that much of an impact as a rookie playing sub snaps. Now if Morgan or Orakpo goes down; that's a different story. The more he is on the field, the more likely he has a chance.

8. xhrr

xhrr Starter

Like I said though that's just the past two years. Sacks aren't the only indicator of making an impact as well. We needed depth behind two guys not exactly known for durability and he will see the field extensively as a rookie. I don't have a problem at all with the selection. I didn't really see any of the CB being worth that selection so to reach for a guy just because of need would have been a mistake. It's not a one year turn around. These guys were taken with immediate implications but more so with the future in mind. We could have reached for a CB to satisfy the couch draft pundits but that's how you stay bad. Trying to grade any draft at this point is premature.

The nature of the game is changing. I could go back further and show rookies who have had success. Although this is still a relatively new and evolving concept. Specialty players are become more and more sought after. A Nickle CB is now as important as a #1 and #2 CB, Hybrid safety's are becoming more a more prevalent. SS who can only play in the box are now basically extinct. Your either a safety with CB cover skills or a CB turned S. SS box players are being converted to LBs and pass rushers are at a premium. Look where Leonard Floyd was taken by the Bears.

#38 xhrr, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  9. kenny

kenny Starter

I agree. That's basically what I said in my original post. This class makes us much better. We have needed quality depth in key spots for years. I think Johnson probably has the best chance of making a real difference for this team. I believe he has a legit chance of beating out Woods. Our run defense has been bad. If he can improve our run defense I think that is making a big difference for our team.

Although Dodd is basically playing behind Morgan & Orakpo you just never know when one of the two will go down. Plus, he will see the field plenty in sub packages. Lawson just went down with a shoulder injury so he could make a bigger impact than the other Clemson guy took far earlier.

I like the underdog, Byard. He has some legit ball skills. Maybe he beats out Johnson for the starting FS spot, but if not he will see the field in subs.

I just do not know who will be able to make the most of their chances at this point. If I had to pick I will go with Johnson as I think he has the best chance to start over Woods.

10. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Honestly, it's SO rare that rookie pass rushers put up eye popping numbers. If you checked every season which rookie lead the class in sacks, you'd be surprise to see the leader around 5-6 quite often

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar