Pollard Fined $42K for Hit on Johnson

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by xpmar9x, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

I am still waiting for the NFL to start giving fines to running backs for lowering their head. I have seen them lower their head many times already this season, it's a joke!

2. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Ridiculous fine, legal hit. I love that Keith Bulluck stuck up for Pollard on Twitter.

3. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

There are some pretty specific requirements that make this call inherently rare. For example the flag can only be thrown in the open field.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

Yah I don't think it's fair to flag and fine the defense all the time when some responsibility should be put on the offensive player.

5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I bet only two flags are thrown for this rule the entire year.

It's not as bad of a rule as everyone made it out to be.

6. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I still say we protest.

7. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans safety Bernard Pollard says his reputation may have played into the $42,000 fine he received from the NFL for a hit on Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson last Sunday.

Pollard wasn’t penalized on the play.

Meanwhile, Texans cornerback Kareem Jackson was fined the same amount for what appeared to be a targeted helmet-to-helmet shot on Titans wide receiver Kendall Wright. Jackson was flagged for unnecessary roughness.

“I guess (my reputation played a part in the fine), I don’t know” said Pollard, who has been fined by the league several times in the past. “I was surprised, but at the same time, guys around the locker room kind of warned me about the person that I am and the history that I have.”

Pollard said that if he had hit Johnson the way Jackson hit Wright, “it would be really bad,” estimating that he would have either been suspended or given a six-figure fine.

Pollard appeared to turn his helmet away from Johnson, hitting the Texans wide receiver first with his shoulder.

“They said I did everything right,” Pollard said of the NFL. “But he was a defenseless receiver, I guess.

“The bad part of it is, for us as players, for the fans, for the coaches, for the refs, there’s a lot of gray area. So they don’t know what to call and what not to call. There’s no call and now you come back and fine me $42,000 for … a play that was legal.”

Pollard says the league is making it harder and harder to play defense.

“Flag football, that’s what they want,” Pollard said. “For us as players, it stinks. Our intent is to play football, to protect the field behind us. Nobody’s intention was to hurt (Johnson). Nobody wanted a concussion.

“We hope he’s OK. But like I said, if you don’t want us to play defense, don’t call us defense. Take us off the field. Just let them go against air. Let’s see what that does to the ratings of this game.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

8. TitansMVP

TitansMVP Starter

Kareem Jackson said it best in his little interview today.

9. madeupdreams

madeupdreams Starter

Yeah, that was a reputation fine. They can say he "targeted" the head all they want, it was AJ's head slamming the ground that caused the concussion.

BP gets no hate from me for that hit. I thought it was legal and apparently so did the refs.

10. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

What's interesting about Pollard's reputation is that he isn't known as a dirty hitter just a guy who crushes people and doesn't draw a flag. If you look at most of the big hits Pollard is known for they are very clean, it just so happens that when he knocks people down, they stay down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar