Position Primer 2013 - Defensive Tackle

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

2013 Cap hit for all DT’s – $2.4m (2.1% of team spend)

Players under contract:
    Jurrell Casey (6’1”, 300) – 23 years old
    2013 Cap Number - $0.734m ($0.58m salary + $0.154m SB pro-rata)
    2014 Cap Number – $0.824m ($0.67m salary + $0.154m SB pro-rata)
    2015 Cap Number – UFA

Mike Martin (6’1”, 306) – 22 years old
    2013 Cap Number - $0.64m ($0.5m salary + $0.14 SB pro-rata)
    2014 Cap Number – $2.8m ($0.59m salary + $0.14m SB pro-rata)
    2015 Cap Number – $2.8m ($0.68m salary + $0.14m SB pro-rata)

Karl Klug (6’3”, 275) – 24 years old
    2013 Cap Number – $0.6m
    2014 Cap Number – $0.69m
    2015 Cap Number – UFA

DaJohn Harris (6’3”, 306) – 23 years old
    2013 Cap Number – $0.48m
    2014 Cap Number – $0.57m
    2015 Cap Number – RFA

Expired contracts
    SenDerrick Marks
    Zach Clayton

3 burning questions
    1. Did SenDerrick Marks earn another contract with the Titans?
    This season certainly qualified as a break-out season for Marks and I think he will be able to parlay that into a nice contract somewhere, but I think the emergence of Martin probably makes him expendable, as they are similar sized bodies that play a similar style.

2. Can Casey take his game to another level?
    Out of the multiple reasonably talented DTs we have on our roster, Casey has shown the most promise of being a true stud. His play this year, however didn’t meet expectations and he’ll need to take it to another level for the Titans D-Line to grow.

3. Will the real Karl Klug please stand up?
    After a stellar rookie season, Klug disappeared for major stretches this season, only to come alive towards the end of the year. A lot of his sacks seem to be as a result of hustle and coverage and he doesn’t demonstrate the ability to blow by blockers consistently. I think he will always be good depth and nothing more.

Free Agency:
    With a miniscule investment in this position, the Titans need to do something. The draft is certainly an option, but if a true big body is available in Free Agency, then I wouldn’t be surprised for us to play.
    Vance Walker
    Henry Melton
    Corey Williams
    Shaun Cody
    Glenn Dorsey
    Terrance Knighton
    Randy Starks
    Ron Brace
    Sedrick Ellis
    Turk McBride
    Rocky Bernard
    Richard Seymour
    Casey Hampton
    Aubrayo Franklin
    Isaac Sopoaga
    Ricky Jean Francois
    Alan Branch
    Jason Jones

Possible Cap Casualties:
    Jonathan Babineaux
    Domata Peko
    Cory Redding
    Kevin Williams
    Tommy Kelly

Potential Draft Targets:
    This year’s draft class is super-deep at DT and a high pick on a stud DT is very much an option.

Star Loutelei, Utah
    Jonathan Hankins, Ohio State
    Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
    Jesse Williams, Alabama
    John Jenkins, Georgia
    Sylvester Williams, North Carolina

Summary
    Even if we retain Marks, our DTs are all between 6’1 and 6’3” and between 275 and 306 lbs. I realise the Shaun Smith experiment flopped last off-season, but I seriously think we are too light in the middle. Particularly when you consider the oldest DT still on our roster is 24 years old and has only had one real off-season of NFL conditioning. The bottom line is we need to get bigger and better against the run. We ranked 31st in the NFL last season on runs between the tackles, with opponents averaging 4.51 ypc. For our defense to take the next step, stopping the run up the middle is priority #1. The high ticket Free Agents (Ellis, Seymour and Melton) are great players, but are in a similar mould to the guys we already have. I think 2nd tier big guys like Knighton, Sopoaga or Cody would hold interest for the Titans.

My take
    Whilst I can see us having a sniff around at the bigger DTs in Free Agency, I think DT is currently the short priced favourite to be our 1st round pick. Star is most likely gone in the first 5 picks, so I think the choice at the moment is between Hankins, Jenkins and Jesse Williams. I think the Titans will make a token effort to retain Marks, but he likely leaves in Free Agency. Natural improvement in our returning tackles could also help make this group a real team strength in 2013.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

Sophomore slumps. I think Casey really turns it up next year just like his rookie year. The interesting thing to note is the oldest one is 24. If we can get one or two of those really going we would be set for the next 10 years.

3. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

The potential free agent class at DT excites me more than any of the draft prospects. Poaching Terrance Knighton from the Jags would be a dream scenario.

Getting Glenn Dorsey on the cheap would be a coup as well. He's been a 4-3 body type forced into the 3-4 for several years now and gets a lot of flack, but even so the guy has made lots of tackles and shown hustle. I think if someone adds him to a 4-3 front they're going to get some serious production from him.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

We don't just need a big body (Shaun Smith). We need a big body that is strong, can stuff the run and get a lot of push from the middle. I hate to :deadhorse:but DT has been horrible since AH left and we simply have not done enough to improve here. Jovan Haye, Shaun Smith. Child please. Casey, Martin and Klug are great rotational guys but we have got to go for an AH type that can hold down the other spot.

5. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

Also, if Jim Washburn is still on the street, I'm for getting him back on the staff NOW. Philly gave him the raw deal big-time. I'd like to see what our D-line looks like with him coaching them up.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Carpy

I think I just threw up in my mouth. I want no part of Washburn and the wide-9.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yea IDK how crazy for the wide-9 I am, but Ayers is not McRath, the wide-9 was awful in 2010 because McRath was only average.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I think Casey will continue to improve, but he'd be so so much better if the guy beside him complimented him. Marks and Martin don't make anyone better, so add a stud DT and boom, Casey, Wimbley, and Morgan look like All-Stars.

9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I believe Casey will also continue to improves. He's one of the few bright spots on our D. I feel like he would benefit on a reduce snap count. I doubt his stamina is that great and I feel like he was in the game 90% of the time.

Marks - let him go.

Martin - Needs more playing time, dude can ball. Reminds me alot of Casey, but slightly more athletic.

Klug - Needs more playing time.

What we need is a LEGIT DT. I would love Henry Melton from the Bears, watched many of his games and he can ball. I believe he'll get f.tag'd however. Star Lotulelei & Sheldon Richardson are two guys via the draft I would like at #10.

10. Carpy

Here's the snap count #'s for our DTs.

Casey - 69%
    Marks - 60%
    Martin - 38%
    Klug - 22%
    Harris - 7%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar