Possible League Cuts or Tradeables

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

From ESPN...

Quarterback
    Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia Eagles

Reasoning: The Eagles keep saying McNabb is their guy, and maybe that's the truth. But there was a reason why the Eagles drafted Kevin Kolb last year. McNabb's age and history of injuries are concerns. Philadelphia has lots of needs at other positions and McNabb should have substantial market value. Former Philadelphia assistant coaches Brad Childress (Minnesota) and John Harbaugh (Baltimore) are desperate for a solid quarterback and they might be willing to put together offers that would tempt the Eagles.

Tight end
    Jeremy Shockey, New York Giants

Reasoning: Maybe it's not a coincidence that the Giants played their best after Shockey was injured. He and quarterback Eli Manning never have had great chemistry. Winning the Super Bowl gives Manning more clout. That's not to say Manning will try to run Shockey out of town, but the Giants will be more conscious than ever about doing what's best for their quarterback. Shockey kept a low profile during all the Super Bowl festivities, and he might want out. The development of rookie Kevin Boss during the postseason gives the Giants some flexibility at tight end.

Wide receiver
    Chad Johnson, Cincinnati Bengals

Reasoning: Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis came out and strongly said Johnson will not be traded and that the Bengals have not even thought about moving the receiver. But Johnson might have a different wish. While making the rounds during Super Bowl week, Johnson told interviewers he'd look good in just about any uniform, besides Cincinnati's. A big contract extension might change Johnson's thoughts on staying with the Bengals. But this is a team that has a history of being frugal. Johnson's a walking distraction, but he's always been productive. The success of Randy Moss in New England might have potential suitors imagining a similar scenario for Johnson and they might try to talk Cincinnati into changing its mind.

Defensive tackle
    Kris Jenkins, Carolina Panthers

Reasoning: He's a three-time Pro Bowler and was Carolina's best defensive lineman last season. But the Panthers and Jenkins haven't been seeing eye to eye for several years. The Panthers tried to trade him last spring, but held out for a first-round pick that didn't come. The price tag could drop this season, and Washington or Baltimore are places Jenkins would love to play. The Panthers, who would be comfortable with Damione Lewis and Ma'ake Kemoeatu as their starting defensive tackles, also could simply cut Jenkins and free up $3 million in salary cap space.

Quarterback
    Chris Simms, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Reasoning: A couple of years ago, it seemed like Simms would be Tampa Bay's quarterback for the long term. But he hasn't played since having his spleen removed early in the 2006 season and Jeff Garcia has a firm grip on the starting job. The Bucs also have Luke McCown and Bruce Gradkowski, and that may make Simms expendable. He's not likely to fetch the Bucs anything big in return, but there are plenty of teams that might be willing to take a shot on a guy who once looked like he could be a solid starter.

Wide receiver
    Antwaan Randle El, Washington Redskins

Reasoning: Randle El had a career-high 51 receptions last season, but the Redskins need a big receiver as they switch to the West Coast offense, and Santana Moss isn't going anywhere. There already has been talk of them trading for Johnson, and Randle El is taking up a good chunk of the salary cap.

Running back
    Warrick Dunn, Atlanta Falcons

Reasoning: The Falcons need help just about everywhere else, and they have Jerious Norwood waiting to be their feature back. Dunn, 30, still has something left in his legs and could help a lot of teams. Getting a draft pick or two for Dunn might speed Atlanta's rebuilding process.

Wide receiver
    Marvin Harrison, Indianapolis Colts

Reasoning: Harrison will be 36 in August and he missed a large chunk of last season with a knee problem that might not get a lot better. Sure, Harrison is a Colt through and through. But Tony Dungy and Bill Polian already have shown they won't let sentiment get in the way of sensibility (see Edgerrin James). Reggie Wayne has established himself as the No. 1 receiver and Anthony Gonzalez had a promising rookie season.

Wide receiver
    Muhsin Muhammad, Chicago Bears

Reasoning: Muhammad will turn 35 in May and his reception total has dropped steadily each of the past three seasons. Some of that can be blamed on inconsistency at quarterback. But Muhammad, who never had great speed, isn't getting any faster and his $3.4 million salary cap figure might make him too expensive a luxury for the Bears.

Tight end
    Alge Crumpler, Atlanta Falcons

Reasoning: Again, the Falcons need to add draft picks and Crumpler might be one of their few marketable players. The tight end isn't a big receiving option in new coordinator Mike Mularkey's offense. Mularkey wants to build a power running game, and blocking tight ends take up a lot less salary cap space.

Some interesting names in there. :grrhee:

2. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I say offer a 2nd for Shockey and a 4th or 5th for Jenkins. I'd obviously give up a 1st in a heartbeat for Chad, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i might take crumpler over shockey. i know he's older, but he isn't anywhere near the headache.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Shockey would fit in with the crowd here. He's that good ol'country boy just raisin' sum hail! Bring him in.

5. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

:truedat: if crumpler gets cut I hope he's on the next plane to Nashville

6. soopacee

soopacee I'm Blaine Bishop

pacman 4 ocho cinco

7. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

The name that caught my eye was Warrick Dunn. I don't know his cap number, but if he's affordable I would love to have him. He would fill the role of chris brown, as a reliable vet that can carry the ball when needed.

Of Course I would love Ocho Cinco, or Shockey, or even Randle El. Randle El makes a lot of sense because of his return ability.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

To bad he lacks any other ability.

9. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

This made me laugh. I'd be soooooo down for that one, too bad the folks in Cincy couldn't possibly be dumb enough to let it happen.

Though I don't revel in the idea of there being any possibility Chad joins the long list of our FA WR bombs. Muhsin would've intrigued me a couple years back, but nowadays he seems as though he'd be Eric Moulds v.02.

10. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

I'd take just about all of those except Chris Sims...I'd love to have some Chad Johnson...but like i said in another post...we have as good a chance of getting Chad Johnson as our turd defensive coordinator attacking an offense when we have a lead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar