Possible New Future Playoff Format:

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bryan Randal, Oct 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan Randal

Bryan Randal Camp Fodder

I talked about this exact format with a friend of mine a few years ago, allowing (7) teams to make the NFL Post-Season and rewarding the #1 Seed in each conference with the only bye. This would make (3) Wild-Card Games for each conference during the first weekend after Week 17 and a possible Monday Night Wild-Card (Double-Header) on ESPN and or another network as well.

Our Titans after the 2011 Season were deserving of a shot at the Post-Season and could've been the 7th Wild-Card team. In my opinion, we could've been T.J Yates in Houston if we played them again instead of Cincy. I'm sure many football fans would disagree and want to keep the format the way it is, but when the additional Wild-Card was added in 1990, it made a world of difference and got the Oilers in the Post-Season that year. When any fans team is in the hunt going into Week 17 and makes, it's one of the best feelings in the world as a football fan.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

\

doesn't it kinda cheapen the experience though knowing they are allowing more teams

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

should just go 8, but no WC teams with losting records.

only division winners of bad divisions would get into the POs. And yes division winners host

4. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

I think 8 is too high considering there are 16 teams in a conference. Half of the conference makes the playoffs? I like the format the way it is because it works, simple as that

5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Ugh. This is just awful.

Keep it the way it is... No need to change it.

The only thing that could use some revision is the automatic playoff bid for a division winner. IMO record should come first. Maybe we can keep it where a division winner still automatically makes the playoffs, but the 2010 Seahawks (7-9) and the 2011 Broncos (8-8) should not have gotten home games. They should either miss the playoffs altogether and have a team with a better record make it instead or they should be the 6th seeds.

The NFC (L)east is so bad that 6-10 would probably win the division.

• High Five High Five x 3
  6. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

I don't think the NFL will ever go to record > division winner regardless of how bad that team is and getting a home game in the playoffs. I would love to see it but then what is the point of winning and playing in that division?

I also think when they realigned the divisions in 2002 that they messed up a little bit. I thought the colts should have went to the north, while the ravens went to the east, and dolphins would be in the south. That would eliminate the rivalries so I get why they did it.

7. RealestWhiteBoy

RealestWhiteBoy World Champion

"Hey, Roger, we took a poll and everyone in America agrees that we have the most perfect post-season in sports."

"Great! Let's get a committee together and think-tank on how we can F this thing up."

8. RealestWhiteBoy

RealestWhiteBoy World Champion

I don't think they ever will, either. I don't think they should, though. There has to be a reward for winning your division. The reward for winning an entire division has to be greater than the reward for making a wildcard.

As far as the realignment, they were clear that they were naming them North, South, East, and West simply in name only, that it had nothing to do with geographic location. They may as well be named Blue, Red, Green, and Purple. Because they did want to preserve tradition and rivalries. We were the ones that got screwed in the deal, because we lost our Steeler/Raven rivalry out of the deal. I guess we didn't lose it, we still play them a lot and it's still a big deal when we do (usually broadcast nationally, even if it's a noon game), but it's not an absolute yearly matchup.

9. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

It is a win mostly for us, we got the colts but we also play the Jags twice a year, and the cows which have been mostly horrible through their existence in the NFL. When you think about it like that I am happy lol

10. Na$hville

Na$hville Veteran

No this is a terrible idea. The more teams you allow in the playoffs the less the regular season means. We didn't deserve to be in the post season in 2011 because we didn't win enough games. Can't start letting teams in the post season just because they finish .500 or so.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar