Post Combine: Which QB do you want the Titans to take?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by chamgel2, Feb 27, 2011.

?
  1. Blaine Gabbert

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. Cam Newton

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Jake Locker

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. Ryan Mallett

12 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Christian Ponder

15 vote(s)
    20.8%
  6. Colin Kaepernick

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. Andy Dalton

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Ricky Stanzi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

At the same time if Steve McNair was in this draft based on the comments made you wouldn't take him either. I really don't think Rolltide is arguing if Tebow is better or not but the point is if Tebow was a viable pick or better yet can a guy like him be a viable pick.

Also Newton isn't Tebow. Tebow is slower and doesn't have a very good arm. What success Tebow has had certainly doesn't make the argument for not taking Newton and if anything makes the argument to take him. Tebow wasn't bad his first few starts. He was effective with his legs. He didn't sit for three years.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Since QB's started actually preparing for the wonderlic test about 10 or so years ago, there is a GREAT correlation between a score under 25 and whether you are likely to become an elite QB or not. 1 elite QB (if you want to call McNabb that) in a decade. That is a terrible %chance of success. Football IQ is related because if you score that poorly on the wonderlic, it will be harder for you to utilize your football IQ in the time pressure of playing QB in the NFL. The game is faster. If you can't process information faster, you won't be as good. Simple.

I'm not saying a QB with a 20 can't be an avg starter, but you don't select that guy in round 1 - let alone the top 10 of rnd 1.

Of the guys mentioned - Marino, McNair, Bradshaw, Kelly - NONE of them prepared for the wonderlic which is WHY they put the cutoff for modern QB's (the last decade or so) at 25 or 26 - because they now prepare for it.

Even if you wanna go back and ignore adjusting wonderlic scores for guys who did vs guys who didn't prepare for it, the odds are STILL heavily against you.

This is exactly how teams talk themselves into making bad draft picks. They ignore historical data and think - it'll be different this time.

Gut

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree the test scores have more validity than people want to admit and the ones who argue test scores are typically the ones who favor a guy who happens to have a low score. But we do have to be careful since such a small number of Qbs end up being elite. It is such a small subset of all starters. Since most QBs score 25 or more the chances of a guy with that score or better being elite is greater.

Using the same logic you could argue against taking a black QB. How many black QBs are elite? Well someone offended by my remark would say there are simply fewer black QBs which is part of the reason there aren't more elite black QBs. Then what if a guy is black and has a bad score of less than 25? No way you take him based on probability (historical data) alone. Add in how many elite QBs played in a spread offense in college. Now if the guy's test sccore sucks, he is also black and played in a spread certainly stay away. So although there is some validity in looking at historical data you have to be careful because you might end up taking a guy just because he is none of those things.

But I get your point.

4. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

bradford has one of the best runningbacks in the entire league on his team--along with while mark clayton was healthy he was considered one of the top 15 receivers.....

i would take tebow over bradford simply because work ethic and leadership are better

both i think are going to be top qbs in the nfl and bradford started all year because the rams didnt even have a qb to compete with while tebow had to compete with orton(who is terrible imo) and eventually got the reign after the organization actually realized who was better, who the fans wanted, who was the future

5. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

hahahaha seriously? haha

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Huh?

You can make your case for that, but the stats are the stats. If you think they are irrelevant...be my guest.

No you can't. No more than you can use hair color. Skin color clearly has NO relevance to anything having to do with playing QB. Ability to mentally process information under the duress of time...DOES!

But I get your point as well.

Gut

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Clayton is NOT a top 15 WR. If he was, the Ravens wouldn't have let him walk away.

Doesn't matter if you have a weak arm. I'd take Bradford every time.

Bradford started because he was ABLE to. The Rams COULD have gotten a vet QB for him to groom behind but they didn't need to. It's funny that you think Orton sucks because he started over Tebow for most of the year (and Orton beat us, right?). And Tebow still hasn't convinced them. Elway even said orton would be the starter if the season were to start now. Not exactly an endorsement for last year's 1st rnd pick with all the leadership intangibles!

Gut

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Frankly Gut i think your wonderlic comments are dumb.

Even taking into account that Newton spent more time in preparation for the test he still performed at an equal level to hall of famers like Bradshaw, Marino and Kelly.

So had Newton not prepared he would have gotten a 15 instead a 21? Which is what Mcnair, Kelly and bradshaw got and better than what Mcnabb and Marino got.

Neil O'donnell scored a 13 and he had a good career and took a team to the super bowl but Cam Newton's 21 is proof that he is too dumb to succeed. :sad2:BULLCRAP!!!

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Empty words when your main point against Cam Newton is that he doesn't have the mental capability to be a success in the nfl.

We have a lot of Al Campanis wannabees on these boards.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um

Considering neither of us knows the answer, this is a bad comparison to make. But if you use vy as an example, it's not unreasonable to think they could boost their scores by 10 points - perhaps more - which would not keep themat cam's level.

I didnt say he's too dumb to succeed, I said his chance of being an elite qb is very small and not worth taking the risk.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar