Post Combine: Which QB do you want the Titans to take?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by chamgel2, Feb 27, 2011.

?
  1. Blaine Gabbert

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. Cam Newton

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Jake Locker

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. Ryan Mallett

12 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Christian Ponder

15 vote(s)
    20.8%
  6. Colin Kaepernick

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. Andy Dalton

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Ricky Stanzi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Did anyone even argue that straight-line speed matters? I don't think anyone would make that argument.

Overall athletic ability (not just speed but also elusiveness and everything else) does matter a lot, though. Rodgers is fantastic moving around in the pocket and making throws on the move. Big Ben is, too. Athletic ability takes those guys from good QBs to great QBs. Of course you want your QB to be athletic if possible.

2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I just think it's funny that Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert are basically the same speed!! so much for Cam blowing away the comp? Of course he's so long that he doesn't even get to top speed until about 33 yards, but either way found it interesting that him, Locker and Gabbert are all the same speed.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Here's how I'd like this to go:

Locker is my first choice QB at 8.
    Ponder is my second choice QB, but at 40.
    Newton is my third choice at 8.

I don't want us going with Gabbert or Mallett.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I'm ok with that. It's kinda funny though because my list is a little different.

Newton is my only choice for QB @ #8.
    Locker is my second choice QB @ #40 or if we can trade down to about #12-15 and still get him.

But I still can't see us taking Cam because the similarities between him and Vince are too close for us to even consider taking him. I'll be shocked as h3!! if we do though.

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I'm not a Gabbert lover by any stretch, but I think it's pretty surprising how few people on this forum like him. Based on everything I've read and heard from the analysts, he is a very good prospect. People rave about his accuracy, ability to throw on the move and decision-making. Those are 3 of the most important things for a pro QB.

I still have Locker as my favorite (not sure he deserves that spot, but I might as well be consistent and stick with him), but Gabbert is my #2. I don't understand how so many people are ready to completely write him off.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

:facepalm: Oh heavens.... Julio's Jones is indeed a beast, but so is Kenny Britt. We need a QB my friend, not another WR. Don't forget that Tyrone Calico and David Boston were also beasts. We can't get the best player available at 8 having no QB to throw the ball.

Kerry Collins should only be considered an option after ALL other options have been exhausted, and Rusty Smith get's two broken fibula's.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

NOBODY!

Nick Fairley, Dareus, Von Miller, or Bowers in round 1 or TRADE DOWN.

The more I think about these QBs, the more I want us to not draft one. Trade for Matt Flynn, sign someone like Bulger or Pennington as a backup with Rusty as third string. Draft somebody next year.

8. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

CBA does not make that possible... we need to take a QB in the draft just in case the CBA doesn't come through...
    But I agree... defense for the first round and a QB in the second... everyone's talking about how the QBs are rising... this might be true, but not everyone's going to take a QB in the first round... the talent will be there in the second, and heck, if teams start going crazy on QBs we might as well take another defensive talent in the 2nd since there will be a lot (Paea)

EDIT: ohhh right... i forgot about Paea's record setting performance at the draft... okay.. maybe not paea then..

9. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

The wonderlic score does not predict future performance. It may tell how likely a QB is to comprehend the playbook or read defenses, but in my opinion it is far less important then anything else the QBs do. At the combine how they perform in the interviews with the teams is the most important aspect for QBs.

10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'd like Locker, just not at #8.

If no QBs are drafted in front of us (which could happen), we should trade back (depending on what defensive players are still on the board). I know everyone says this every year, but it finally makes sense. If no QBs are taken before us, that means Washington (10), Minnesota (12), Miami (15), Jacksonville (16), and Seattle (25) are the only teams that would probably take a QB 1st round. We could trade back to the 14-24 range and draft Locker, and pick up extra picks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar