Predators aquire Peter Forsberg in trade

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Puck, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

more commentary

"Certainly, I think it's a clear message to our community that we are aiming to be the best we can be,” Poile said. “ ... Hopefully we will have the ultimate success in the playoffs."
    Without Forsberg, the Predators have the best record in the NHL.

With Forsberg, they now rank as the favorite to win the Stanley Cup.

Sounds GREAT !!!!

Some will complain that Poile is trading away the Preds' future for a player who will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
    Even Poile had to convince himself the deal was worth doing.

"I have given up a lot, something that was not comfortable to me," he said.

But at this point in the franchise's existence, it is time to take your best shot. If you have to rent a star for four months, you do it.
    SOUNDS BAD

YA KNOW, I haven't found disclosure of the terms
    I was hoping for 4-6 years, not 4-6 months

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

This is something I don't understand about hockey. Does it not have the same consequences for a deal like this? We only get him for the rest of the year... Even if we won the cup, if we suffer for the next two years, it might hurt the fan base more than it helps.

I consider myself a preds fan, but I haven't followed hockey otherwise, so I don't really know how their cap strategies and stuff works. But when I read that it was only for this season, I got concerned.

3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

As a Canadian, I am constantly surrounded by hockey talk. It sucks a lot.

I don't know much about the players in that deal, but I will point out to all casual hockey fans that draft picks in the NHL work a lot differently than in the NFL. In the NFL, most 1st-3rd round picks are expected to be starting within a year or two of being picked. In hockey, guys are drafted at age 18 and usually go back to junior hockey for a few years (even 1st round picks). It's a lot tougher to scout a guy when he is that young, so the NHL draft is way more of a crapshoot than the NFL draft. You get lots of high picks who are total duds and lots of 5th rounders and later who turn out to be great.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

How big was the trade that brought Peter Forsberg to the Predators on Thursday night?

“It’s like a nuclear bomb went off in the Western Conference,” ESPN hockey analyst Barry Melrose said.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070216/SPORTS02/70216072

“Boy, if you’re anywhere interested in being a Nashville fan you’ve got to be pretty excited. Because they are now the toast of the West and probably and arguably the front-runner for the Stanley Cup.”
    Melrose cheered Poile for showing “the guts to go and try to win the Stanley Cup.”

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The whole deal behind getting Forsberg is to win the Stanley Cup. The traded guys were well worth it IMO. At the very least Nashville should get deep into the playoffs and like the NBA playoffs mean more than regular season. The Preds were already one of the best teams, now anything less than a CUP is a disappointment but I like the strategy. Go for it NOW. One great year will bring fans in that might not have ever given hockey a shot and once they get hooked many will stay.

6. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

This sucks for my Flyers. Its sad to see what has happened to us over the years...

Losing Roenik , LeClair , Amonte , Dejardins , Lindros , Priemeau , now Forsberg...

wow :(

7. NYTitansFan

NYTitansFan Guest

Hockeys best here in buffalo

GO SABRES!!

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

kinda sounds like your Titans

9. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

With all of the other crap that Leopold has been pulling, I am wondering if he's going for it all this year to relocate at the height of the sport... To me, this deal stinks.. While Im happy we got him, question is.. Did we need him?

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I too fear it is a prelude to relocation

and no , I don't think we needed to spend that much for someone who may not even be on the roster next season

Forsberg is here to help us make a strong run for the Cup
    I'd feel much better if PF were signed to at least a 5year deal
    and that the team sign a lease extension

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar