Game Day Thread Preseason Game 2: Titans vs Panthers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by A.D., Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meekmode

meekmode Starter

just wait till mariota throws his first interception and all the basement dwellers come out to cry.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Roscoes Wetsuit

Roscoes Wetsuit Pro Bowler

Interceptions are the least of my worries with Mariota. I expect him to throw a few, just like I expect a couple of fumbles returned for 6.

As long as he makes the big play,and stays healthy, I'm good.

3. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

A couple of fumbles returned for TDs is your expectation???

Your standards vary quite a bit by player.

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I expect him to protect the football. I hate turnovers that turn into tds

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. Roscoes Wetsuit

Yeah, because he has had a fumbling problem since college. So until he fixes that issue, I will assume he will lose a few fumbles this year.

I would prefer he cleans it up, kinda like how I be cleaning up them bathrooms. Clutch.

Since your comment is in regards to my opinions of Dodd, I'm sure by this time next year, I'll stop be critical of Mr. #33 overall. Cause either a) he won't be on roster anymore or b) I'll just be happy if he can get a couple of sacks through out the season cause I won't expect anything out of him.

Difference with Marcus is, yes I expect fumbling issues, but I also expect multi-TD games, clutch 4th quarter drives, and him picking up key 1st downs with his legs.

I honestly can't think of 1 positive Dodd brings to this team from his position. Can't rush the passer, liability in coverage, and he has a dead foot. We have 2 players younger than him with more potential in Wallace and Carraway.

• LOL LOL x 1
  6. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

That was in no way intended to be in defense of Dodd. But you're right, if he does enough good to offset handing points to the opposing defense, I'll have no complaints. He will be around for a long time, and some very rough moments in the first few years are acceptable.

7. Roscoes Wetsuit

Don't get me wrong. I hate it. I want him to protect the ball too.

But my point about that post was, if I have to suffer seeing a couple of his Mariota like fumbles, I'll take it over seeing Matt Cassel under center.

8. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Good list, Gut. I would add these guys...
    Warren Wells
    Roy Green
    O.J. Simpson
    Herschel Walker

Most people remember O.J. and Herschel. Many people don't know that they were both world-class sprinters as well. Some track stars have tried to play football but O.J. and Herschel weren't track guys who also played football - they were football players who had also ran track.

Not many people remember Warren Wells or Roy Green. Wells only played a few years, then his career ended when he went to prison. Roy Green played for some poor to mediocre Cardinals teams which were almost never on TV, but Green was frequently on ESPN SportsCenter highlights.

The thing about both Wells and Green is that they not only had raw speed, but football speed too. There is no way a wide receiver should ever be able to run a post pattern and get behind a zone defense, but somehow, both of them were able to consistently. Bob Hayes was another guy who could. Not many more could make that claim.

Besides having blazing speed, both Wells and Green could run good routes and had good hands, so their speed definitely translated into production on the field. Green started out as a safety, then was converted to WR to take advantage of his speed. Wells was selected to two Pro Bowls and Green was twice a first-team All-Pro and went to two Pro Bowls. Here are their stats from their best years.

Warren Wells:
    Year Rec Yds Ypr TDs
    1968 53 1137 21.5 11
    1969 47 1260 26.8 14
    1970 43 . 935 21.7 11

Roy Green:
    Year Rec Yds Ypr TDs
    1983 78 1227 15.7 14
    1984 78 1555 19.9 12

Imagine if we had a guy who averaged 26.8 yards per catch and had 14 TDs in one season. People here would be going ape.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I see you missed the entire point. When you 'scale' a number from one distance to another, you are ADDING error and making a misjudgement since the player isn't running that avg speed for both distances!

• Take a Chill Pill Take a Chill Pill x 1
  10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Good stuff!!! I don't remember Wells but I do remember Green very well!

And yes, I'd love a guy who avgs 26.8 yards per catch...as long as he caught at least 40 balls!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar