Presenting the Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Fry, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Pretty much everyone I know has XB as well. I still went with PS because I like the titles better and very, very rarely even play online anyway. Come to think of it, I can only think of one actual friend who has a PS. And he's a hardcore gamer and has the XB as well.

2. rekirts

rekirts Starter

Also I'm surprised I'm digging Mario vs Rabbits Kingdom whatever as much as I am. I just hope it can be hard enoguh to be interested. Love a good tactical game.

will have to pick up the switch this summer or wait for a good deal during the holidays

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Who are all these people who own XB1s? I literally know not a single a person with an XB1.

All my friends have PS4 and a few of those, myself included, have a WiiU.

4. Fry

5. Fry

A new Yoshi game.

6. Fry

The Switch online service will cost $20 a year.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

So Nintendo are just doing Microsoft. Relying on existing IPs.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

does anyone really want a Switch review from me? If not, I am not going to waste my time typing up a long review.....

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Go for it

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

As I said earlier, I have had my Switch for about a month now, and have three games for it......Zelda, Mario Kart and Lego City Undercover. I am going to break this review down into about 3 sections, none of that will include the games, since they are not titles only limited to the Switch.

Handheld

I do not use this mode often, and it is not what I bought it for. The times I have used it have been impressive. The screen, is absolutely great, crystal clear smooth the whole jazz. FPS does not seem to drop much, and it looks almost as good as it does on my TV. Battery life is strong, you can get several hours of play on this without having to worry. My only real gripe, is that it is a bit heavy. The joy cons when attached to the console, are really small. Combined with the weight of the console, can make it seem like you don't have a good grip. I really wish they made the joy cons a bit more contoured in the back to provide a better grip.

Docked

Graphically, it can't compare to your other current gen consoles, but it does well enough. I think most titles so far are 60fps, the system preforms great. I do have a fair share of gripes though. Some people complained of the dock scratching the glass. I did not experience that, but got myself a tempered glass screen protector. the joy con controller dock they provide you with, is actually pretty nice. It is just a bit smaller than the PS4 controller for size reference. I have smaller hands, and it works for me just fine. People with larger hands might have more complaints as the buttons are close together.

Complaints

My main complaints of this are going to seem more harsh than intended, just a fair warning, and it isn't indicative of my overall opinion.

I really feel like Nintendo is nickel and diming at every corner. It would have been real customer service friendly had they included a screen protector, or something to protect it from the dock itself. Had my Switch been scratched by the dock, I would have been furious.

The controller for the joy cons has no USB charger, but yet they sell one independently. The battery life of these things seems to be almost infinite, in fact, I have never even come close to draining them. I just think it is a bit ****** to not include, what is probably <$3 worth of parts, to have a rechargeable controller in the box. I also really feel they should have included the pro controller, but selling it $70 is absurd. I would like to have one, but no thanks, the joy cons are not that bad.

More cases of penny pinching, because it goes a LONG ways. Single joy con controller docks should have been included, cheap but still. The damn dock for the console itself, is almost $50, so do not break yours. The Amiibo thing really pisses me off, it is like DLC but worse IMO.

I almost feel that if I paid for an early access console. Right now there is no web browser, or Netflix/streaming capabilities, but I am pretty confident they are coming. Online play is free for the summer, after that it is $20 a year, which is spot on IMO, considering they include some free older games. It is also a bit disappointing there has not been any games developed solely for the Switch at launch that were any good.

Overall

I really think Nintendo nailed this one. While I do think they should have included more of the things above I mentioned, the only real thing I feel you should get is a screen protector, and a case if you plan on taking it anywhere. Those are relatively inexpensive. I like how they use the micro SD cards for storage, it only comes with 32gb built in, but with the SD cards you can add almost as much as you want. The price for online play is 100% spot on, super happy with that and what you get. Last I read, they still plan on doing a virtual console, if not that sucks but I can live without it. As I mentioned battery life is not a concern.

E3 put to rest my real concerns. After I beat Zelda, I was hoping some stuff would get announced soon that caught my interest. Thankfully, they delivered there. I think Nintendo just found there niche, and probably just ruined the portable console market for everyone else, while still making a capable console that can hook up to a TV.

TL;DR
    As of now, I would buy it again even with the lack of games, it gets my thumbs up.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar