"Prevent Defense"

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JMB54, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

I'm a few days late posting this rant but when will coaches learn that a prevent defense only prevents a win. Sunday we played a decent game of defense up until we scored that last td. Then comes along this wonderful idea, "Lets only rush 2 or 3 people and give the QB 6 or seven seconds to run around and wait till a reciever gets lost in the 8 men trying to cover them." I hate playing with a 7 point or less lead with under 3 minutes to go.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

It's seeming like each week we get more and more away from this strategy. Soon enough the coaches will be more fan friendly.

3. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

only because we haven't been playing with a lead and are stuck in our soft zone.

4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I've always hated prevent.

In certain situations it's definitely the best defense, but with just a 6 point lead and 1:40 left, it's a dumb call.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

As much as the fans hate it, the prevent defense isn't going anywhere. It's the most logical defense that gives your team the best chance to win.

You can moan and whine about the few times when a team loses because it but a lot more often than not it creates a win.

6. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

It's not the most logical defense when you only have a 6 point lead with plenty of time on the clock. If we had a 10 point lead, I'd be all for the prevent defense.

You're right... Usually it works out, but the Bucs came awfully close to pulling that game out. If it weren't for that fumbled snap on 4th down, they could've easily won.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

...is strait up garbage....

on another note, is this properly named? I thought 'prevent D' was when you got 3 safeties deep. i havent played madden in a while, but if memory serves, a 3-rusher base D is a dime package?

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

yes because video games is where you should be learning this stuff...

I have never played Madden, saw it in stores, but there are many ways too play prevent D. The main point is too exchange yardage for clock. Titans allowed TB to make long catches and get OOB thus giving up yards without gaining clock. Gray is too blame for his ineffective 2/3 man rushes forcing the other 8/9 guys to cover for literally +6 seconds. Titan DBs are not that good, no DBs are.

• High Five High Five x 6
  9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I think our DB's have improved a lot from last year, especially McCourty. But yea, video games should not be what you base your football opinions off of.

Believe it or not though, but Madden educates a lot of people on the game of football. If you didn't know a thing about the sport, Madden could teach you some terminology, and other little things.

10. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

you fail to realize we are conceding pretty much everything but the redzone for clock runoff. The closer they get to the endzone the harder it gets for them to score.

It is the most logical defense when you have anything more than a 3 point lead because if you play press man or any base defense in that scenario you're a lot more likely to give up the big play.

I know a lot of you probably pee your pants every time a team drives down the field against our prevent defense and don't remember what happened the last time we were in prevent defense, oh yeah, they turned the ball over or the clock ran out.

whens the last time the prevent defense has failed us?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar