Projections show Mariota, not Winston, more likely to be elite

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Old Oiler Fan, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Your lack of simple logic in putting information into context is surprising. So, you think Mett will make another WR rookie of the year after creating lesser stats for the WR's already here? Then you pivot to we had nobodies on the OL? Talent-wise we had a pretty good group of talent which didn't play well. unfortunately, this is where having a rookie QB who is immobile and doesn't make quick decisions becomes a GIANT problem. Do you think drafting a RT is all of a sudden give Mett 5 more seconds to throw the ball so he can throw bombs all day from a clean pocket? This seems to be your mentality in suggesting the immobile QB is gonna turn a rookie WR into rookie of the year behind nearly the same OL since probably only RT changes this year.

And to suggest we should discount Mariotas ability to score TD's without turning the ball over is bad while Winston throwing a ton of picks while making frshman mistakes (not reading the coverage correctly and staring down wr's and throwing into double and triple coverage) is great? LOL

First, I still haven't seen this stat of Mett being sacked 24% of the time. What you fail to realize is that it's WHAT you do with all the chances you have against the blitz. Even if Mariota was sacked 23% of the time on passing plays, they DON'T account for when he pulled the ball down and created big yards and TD's since those would be labeled running plays stat-wise. So for all plays that start as passing plays, he's probably only sacked about half that amount if you include when he scrambles. So again, you and Peter King are lacking the context of that number as well (more importantly), what you do with the rest of you chances. So you say Mett was sacked 24% of the time. What were his stats for the other 76% of the time? And this is where you have a major problem bashing Mariota. Mariota DESTROYED teams on the plays he wasn't sacked. I will guess Mett, Like Winston, didn't do very well his other chances (completion percentage, TD%, INT %, yds per attempt.

And by DESTROYED, Mariota THREW TD's 25% of those times and the other 52% he created big plays with his ARM (not to mention the damage he did with his legs on scrambles).

So according to you, an immobile QB with almost the same poor line play will create a rookie of the year and can make throws an extremely mobile QB can't even though the very mobile QB can easily run for first downs, td's, big plays or simply buy time to find open wr's or create big plays down the field? Essentially, you're telling me Mett would do better against pressure than a guy like Russell Wilson even though stats and the eyeball test would say differently?

Keep reaching. Only way Mett has a chance...a real chance...is to trade back and upgrade the line in at least 2 positions if not 3, get a true #1 WR and a dominant running back. They need to do a Dallas and really take the burden off the QB but we may need more than talent for that...we may need a new GM and coaching staff. But to make silly comments about Mariota is just that...Silly.

Mett has an excellent arm but that's not his issue. Jeff george had one of the best arms in NFL history but he's not a Hall of Fame QB. If you are immobile, you need a dominant team around you to carry the load and need quick eyes and quick decisions. Otherwise, Mett is headed for a backup role in this league.

In contrast, we have already seen Mariota be able to make very fast reads across the field AND have the escapeability to buy time when he makes a poor read or the protection breaks down. And BTW, that is one of the best ways to find WR's WIDE OPEN!

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

tilder

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Based on what? Your love for Mett?

4. 520

tilder

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

So you said you expect Mett to throw 4000yds, 25 tds and turn a rookie wr into rookie of the year. How many turnovers are you projecting he makes? And when he doesn't do all that, you'll be giving an apology, right?

6. 520

hed probably throw 15 ints. but whatevs seems like youll get to witness mariota suck first hand cuz the reports seem to be pointing that way. just remember when we go to draft another qb in a few years and you think about spewing off about some guy...just dont. cuz itll be proven you dont know what youre looking for.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  7. 520

@titansrush why dont you try to counter my points instead of dropping 100 bullshits on me without ever saying a word. mitch bade.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

So you think Mettenberger behind almost the same line (guessing only rt change) will triple his TD's while only doubling his INT's while keeping such a robust yards per attempt? Here's the other thing you're forgetting.

He was sacked in 1 out of every 10 Passing ATTEMPTS. For him to reach 600 attempts to aquire all those stats...assuming he's able to improve across the board quite a bit.......he'd have taken 60 sacks. No way can he absorb that kind of punishment. He got knocked out twice in only 18 sacks!!!!!

No one is calling Mariota the next Andrew Luck and as such, there is a ceiling and a floor for both Mariota and Winston. These guys are far from sure things...but so is Mett. We saw Locker do some good things for a few games but that doesn't mean anything long term. Mett can't stay healthy and I'm not optimistic a new RT is going to solve all of our OL woes and I'm not optimistic our coaching staff is up to the challenge of this rebuild no matter which QB they use.

You living in fairly-land with Mett doesn't give you a lot of credibility. But unlike you, I don't label players as garbage or stars based off of a few starts. Mett has a chance to be very good but there is a LOT of things for him to improve upon as well as the team around him. Mariota has to transition to a Pro offense. I think Mariota has more upside and is more likely to get there but everything is a projection.

And just as you havent gotten every pick right but still act like you are better than most NFL GM's, I will comment as I see fit just as you do. Everyone misses on players...but it's WHY you miss that's important. You tend to form an opinion about a player and then cherry pick the stats to back it up - even if they are totally out of context. 'tis why I have easily refuted several of your statements (like Romo had more to do with his team's success than Russell Wilson).

And BTW, if you think I'm not qualified to give an opinion worth your time, WHY would you bother to read what I have to say...lol

• LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar