Proof that the WR dropped pass myth is BS..

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I guess we should just assume all the stats by STATS LLC are bogus and corrupt. Don't believe them.

Here are some more stats we shouldn't believe:
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb.php

In fact we shouldn't believe ANY stats that might say our WRs are not as bad as people make them out to be or ANY stats that show our QB is worse than people make him out to be. Throw those stats out!

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

:rolleyes:

This is getting ridiculous.
    Watch the games and judge for yourself, not rely on unfounded stats.

3. Texas_Titan_1

Texas_Titan_1 Camp Fodder

Here is a list of my "Percieved Facts"

1. I am from TX, but I am not a Vince Homer.

2. I do think he has the talent to be a very McNair Type QB.

3. He is no Payton, but neither is he Ryan Leaf.

4. I feel that all of the 3 QB's drafted that year (Vince, Matt, Jay) are in this same catagory. They will all be above average but not great, they each have there own strengths and weaknesses and none of them are a complete QB. If Eli can make it to the Big Show than any one of these guys can, as long as we have a COMPLETE team around them.

5. Myself and others would be more likely to agree with other posters if they were not so obviously making biassed coments. I know its hard to do, we are all very passionate about our team, but it is clear that the only reason some on here post and give "So Called Facts" is to prove that "They were right and everyone else is wrong." (We all know who these people are).

6. We have seriouse questions at QB, WR, HB, OL, DL, CB, S
    QB-Vince has mad a lot of bad throws, and he as made a lot of good throws. Are we expecting to much from VY (have a McNair want a Payton)? Can he mature as a QB (running/passing), person, leader, & student?
    WR-Are they the problem or is it VY? We can't fix a problem until we find out what the exact problem is. I feel that the best way to test this is bring in a true #1/stud, like Roy, Chad, Randy. If the passing game still sucks then we can focus our attention on Vince's problems and get them corrected. If it improves our game then case closed. There is much debate on our WR corp, hence why I am writing this. The reason I have to believe that it is the WR has nothing to do with Drops, Bad Passes, Attempts or any other usual stat based argument. Simply watch the 2nd colts game and you will see something that may be the problem. I saw our #1,#2,#3, and #4 widouts being covered (blanketed) by the colts #3 and #4 CB. Watch and you will see that our WR got no seperation. When you can't get seperation it is hard to Catch (good or bad throws) and its harder to pass to those recievers when an all-pro corner is draped all over him.
    HB-Are LW and CH good enough to carry the load? I feal that yes they are. Not every team can have an LT, it would be awesome, but not realistic. Will there production increase if we are less predictable on offense? I find that the successfull teams are the ones that keep the oppossing teams guessing.
    OL-Will Mawea be here? Will the OL stay intact? Or should our preference for pounding the rock up the middle dictate we persue someone like Alan Faneca? They are good, but need to get better.
    DL-AH, will he dominate again or slack off again? KVB=:cool2: Everyone needs depth at DL, but we need someone consistant next to AH. Is odem worth the $ or can laboy/last years rookie/others hold down the fort? I think they can be fine without odem as the money would be better spent elsewhere for value purposes.
    CB-:wakka: WTF!!! Will he be back? Will he be back and perform well after a year off? Do we trade/draft/no change?
    S-Will hope make a full return or do we need to add more depth at that position.

Sorry this is so long, but I really get irritated when threads are started to mearly point out that someone was right and everyone else was wrong. Again these are my percieved facts so take them how you want to, but when discussing the WR please do not only rely on stats. There is no stat that shows the ability to get open!!! Or if you want to discuss stats then please include them all and not just the ones that prove your point. Maybe include a stat showing dropped passes that would have resulted in first downs or potential game winning drives.

After watching vince the last two years I can honelstly say that he as looked awesome at times and then at others has looked like Quincy Carter. But having said that I have seen our WR look only average ALL YEAR, with the exception of maybe 4 or 5 plays, I have seen nothing to make me think that any of these guys are that much better than Courtney Roby. Where is he right now? Payton could not even make him a good reciever.

4. Texas_Titan_1

Texas_Titan_1 Camp Fodder

I think it is awesome that people can see what they want in those stats.
    I do not disagree that Vince has had some problems, but to say that "Our WR are not as bad as they seam is a stretch.

Using the website YOU provided I saw some stats that showed vince in the bottome of the DPAR score and you say it is proof of him being bad, but maybe it is proof that it is our recievers. Cup half empty half full kind of thing.

Lets take a look at how a WR can impact the QB's numbers.

Tom Brady 2006 DPAR 75.9 2007 DPAR 200.2
    Vince Young 2006 DPAR 7.7 2007 DPAR 11.7

This is the problem with people who love to quote stats. Thats all they do is quote them and not analyze them.

Look at 2006 Tom 75 to Vince 7, hey vince sucks. Well to be fair we are comparing a SB MVP with years of experience and a future hall of famer to a rookie who was a 3 year project.

Now look what happened to Tom after getting quality recievers. It jumped to 200. Vince lost bennet and wade (average players) and at least it went up, it could of come down.

It is very easy to blame the person who you personally do not like, but it is hard to take a true look at your team and say wow both our QB and WR have problems. At least one of them has potential to do better.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Individual player stats in a team sport usually never tell the whole story.

6. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves Guest

It would be better to judge WR's on situational stats rather than a flat overall figure. What do they do on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down... YAC? ...

7. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Soxcat, just curious, why do you have a baghead as your sig?

I was under the impression that a fan places a bag over their head when they are disgruntled about their team. And in your case, the team that you root for is a playoff team. Am I missing something here?

8. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves Guest

Or maybe an Unknown Comic fan? :ha:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nyo_oi96HHM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nyo_oi96HHM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Too lazy to change? Don't think the Titans earned it? Don't really care? Take your pick....

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

oh man I had forgotten all about the Unknown Comic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar