Quarterback Play In Saints Game Gives Confidence

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by FightinTitan, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

I liked what I saw out of Billy Volek and Vince Young last night. There wasn't a lot of pressure on them to win the game. The emphasis was placed on the running game last night.

Volek looked solid. He looked poised under pressure and knew where to go with the ball. It is clear that Billy Volek is the leader of the offense. He did not get the chance to air the ball out, but we have seen him throw before and we know that he throws the best deep ball in the game. His huddle presence looked good.

Vince Young showed a lot of poise and a strong huddle presence. He made a couple of nice throws and a few poor throws...what you would expect from a rookie. Is he ready to take on a first team NFL defense? No. not even close. However, I came away impressed with his poise. He did not looked like a "deer in the headlights" as many rookies do in their debut.

As far as the "turning his head to see what was behind him"...that is something you do not want your QB doing. That is why you do not see other QBs doing it. You want your QB looking downfield reading the defensive coverage, not looking behind him to see who might be pressuring him. The TV commentator made a big deal out of it, but making such a big deal out of it says a lot about a lack o knowledge of a QBs responsibilities and fundamentals. The coaching staff will straighten that out and stress that he should trust his offensive linemen to pass protect and for him to read the defense.

We really did not see much of Hodges and Mauck. Mauch is a serviceable 3rd QB. However, I am willing to say that our 3rd QB is not likely on our roster at this point.

2. moose4now

moose4now Starter

I think that fact that BV knows that he's that starter helps makes him feel more comfortable. And, as far as VY goes? I don't think anyone expected him to dominate in his first game. But, the fact that he didn't look intimidated has to be viewed as a plus.

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I really liked Billy's ability to step up, avoid pressure and deliver the ball smartly rather than make haphazard throws or just throwing it away. Of course the pass protection was good for the most part, props to the Oline for that. Roos seemed to lock down the left side nicely, I think I only noticed 1 missed assignment from him.

4. moose4now

moose4now Starter

It's all about confidence.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

His first series was a little shaky but he settled in. I did think he looked better in the shotgun when given the opportunity. Like you said, he couldn't have thrown the ball to Williams any better. His best pass may have been the little flip he did over the DB to Williams later on. The pass to Troupe and very late pass to an open Bennett were bad. Running out-of-bounds to take a loss wasn't smart but he sure can cover some ground when he runs.

Like most of the reports we've heard so far, he does some amazing things only to be followed by the typical rookie QB mistakes. It'll be fun watching him mature as he gains experience.

6. moose4now

moose4now Starter

That was to be expected, though.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

He's a playmaker. That's all I care about. He showed that today, and what I really like is he can't be tackled. He waltzed out of bounds just like he did in college on several plays, and still was gaining yards.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I don't know, he was buying time for his recievers and remember when Brunell was doing the same and squared up to throw the ball away, he got whacked by Rolle, too bad it was not Kearse!

Yeah it counted as a SAC, but still could have been worse and I liked that even though he took a SAC he was still trying to make a play.

9. Ewker

Ewker Starter

seems to me that is how he got his ankle twisted being tackled

10. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Well, technically, that wasn't a tackle. lol. Young just fell down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar