Quentin Groves DE Auburn

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by The Playmaker, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Let me qualify the Cason pick: if he proves fast enough. Doubt we draft a slow corner in one.

My prediction for round one depending on early free agency would be Groves or Manningham in one.

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

If Odom leaves then their is no way Tennessee won't draft Groves.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Groves reminds you of peppers? Peppers is three inches taller and thirty lbs heavier. No similarities at all. Calais campbell is the closest thing to peppers.

I don't think groves is a good fit for our system. I think merling and gholston are the best fit for our defense but getting one of them might not be easy.

I also reject the notion that groves could be an OLB for us. We have never tried to move a DE to linebacker and playing linebacker in our system requires a lot more than just speed. Groves is best in a three four..

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Odom and draft pick.. While the idea of an odom groves rotation at DE would be interesting and exciting i don't see it. No way they pay that kind of money to odom knowing he will only take half the snaps and no way they draft a kid in rd one with the idea that he would alternate snaps with odom.

It just won't happen it is either sign odom or draft a stud early. Not both...

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Depressing and frustrating..

Compare some of the DE prospects to these guys..

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=27560

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=58771

Reese made what looked like very logical decisions when drafting these guys. Odom had a great combination of size and overall athleticism and laboy had the speed and big lifting numbers and nice wonderlic. Both guys jumped out the building with their verticals. Seems like we should have got more from those guys..

6. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

No way the Giants pay money for Strahan, Osi, Tuck and Kiawanuka......

Worked out for them ok.

You can't just think of the draft in terms of this year either. In 2 years time KVB is 32 and who knows how effective he'll be?

If you had Groves on our roster as well, I could see KVB shifting inside on obvious passing downs and a front four of Groves, Albert, KVB and Odom would be pretty tough to handle.

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

How did you come to this determination?

Because so many teams run 3-4 defenses these days everyone seems to think any Defensive end under 275 pounds must be a better fit at OLB. That's simply not true. There are still plenty of Defensive ends in the league that are within 10 pounds of Groves size and are impact pass rushers in a 4-3 front. (Freeney, Mathis, Dumervil, Jared Allen, John Abraham etc)

Kearse was about 5 pounds heavier than Groves coming out of school and there was no way we were going to convert him to OLB. He seemed to be a pretty good fit for our defense.

I see no reason why Groves couldn't be an eventual long-term every down DE for us in our 4-3 front. (if we draft him)

8. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

yeah its rediculous, five years ago DE's at Groves size were considered normal, now if you are under 6'4 and less than 260 and run under a 4.8 you should be in the 3-4 defense- Groves could be a Freeney type DE, seriously...

9. MttyTitan

MttyTitan Guest

I think we should try hard to sign odom and please give me your opinions

scenario a

sign odom

go DT in the first and OG in the second

scenario b

we dont sign odom

go DE in first and DT in second

This is provided we sign a free agent wide receiver ( jerry Porter )

Bye

10. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Here's the scenario. If no Odom then draft Groves. If Odom is re-signed then maybe Pat Williams from Minnesota.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar