Question about an "illegal formation" call last Sunday?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bobo, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

6:33 left in the 3rd, TH runs for like 15 yards on a 3rd and 1 and we get the 1st down. But it was called back. They said #76 was lined up illegally as the "end man on the LOS".

Stewart was in his usual RT spot, Hartsock was to his left on the line as a TE, and Cramer was to hsi left lined up off the LOS.

Is there something illegal about that that I am missing?

Drew looked like he may have been not on the line to give 7 men, but it was close and that wasn't what they called.
  2. Fry

Fry Hatin' is what I do.

i think it would have been legal if he(stewart) had checked in as an eligable receiver.
  3. bongo59

bongo59 Camp Fodder

it was a judgement call by the line judge that DB was off the line...............
  4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

But he lined up in his normal RT spot, not in a TE spot.
  5. Fry

Fry Hatin' is what I do.

oh, i thought they went into some type of heavy formation since it was like 3rd and 1. dont remember the specific formation, just took a guess.
  6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Doesn't matter where he lines up, if he's the last man on LOS it's illegal if he's not declared as eligible. He needs either a TE or WR to also be on LOS (outside of him obviously) for it to be legal formation.
  7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe that is true.

But as I already said, Stewart was not the end guy anyway.
  8. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

The tackle either has to be eligible or covered.
  9. split_six

split_six Guest

True dat.

Being at the game, I did find it strange that it was the referee (10 yards behind the los), not the line judge that threw the flag for the illegal formation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.