Question about DE? Jason Pierre-Paul vs Morgan

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by titan_fan_4ever, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Now that Hood has been signed i would definitly say DE is our most important position that we need to adress in the draft.

for the first time since i can remember, looking at the millions of mock drafts out there, there is no DE in the top of 5 of ANY that i've seen, very rare indeed. I am just wondering about the unit as a whole. ive read there is depth, but is there star quality to be gotten?

i was looking at JPP and Morgan - with the likelihood of one of them being around maybe even both come our pick. What do you guys think?

If i was Fish i'd bring in most of these top prospects and pin them against Roos and Stewy; with two of the best OTs in the game (i don care what anyone says) we should test the youth against top talent, give us an idea where to position them.

We have like an athletic tackle and a mauler so it would be an excellent to test the men against both to see how they can handle the pro level - can JPP handle Big Country's strength? can he handle Roos' technique and speed? how bout morgan??

are you allowed to do that? when you invite players are you allowed to make them run drills (with full contact) against players already in the nfl? I'm guessing not full contact to avoid injury.

2. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

why move??? ppl dont come here. i understand trying to be more organized....but c'mon its the offseason barely anything to talk about...

3. 24

24 Starter

There's a chance one of them could be around, but JPP has more potential, while Morgan is more proven/safer. Either way, Washburn will make the most of them. It's pretty obvious we need DL help.

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Personally, I like Everson Griffen.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Here's a quick breakdown...

Graham - 6'1, 265lb - shorter than you'd like for an NFL DE. Frequently being short can be a problem for NFL DE's so it's a knock. However, Graham has been a dominant DE in college on a bad defense (which is impressive). He has good film and beat Bulaga (who'll be drafted as a first rnd LT in this same draft). He has a quick first step, good balance, excellent hand usage and a knack for when to go around and when to bullrush an OT. He plays with a high motor and had excellent Senior Bowl practices (was almost unblockable) and had an even better game (though he took advantage of lesser quality tackles in the game). He doesn't have elite speed, size and he's short. Could be an All Pro DE or 3-4 OLB or never be an elite passrusher.

Morgan - 6'4, 270lbs - Morgan was on a much more stacked D last year so this year, when HE was the focus, he still came through big (ACC D player of the year). He has a quick first step and also tends to use his speed and hand usage to get around tackles or his strength to bull rush. Seems to get winded quicker than you'd like but has the NFL measureables (size, speed, stats) teams look for in a first rnd DE. Again, he doesn't have elite athleticism but he has the height that Graham doesn't have but Graham has better tape. Morgan didn't get to play or practice in Senior Bowl week since he's a Jr. Hard to see a downside, but how high is his upside?

Hughes - 6'1, 255lbs - While most people list his as an OLB for a 3-4, I see him more in the Elvis Dumervil mold. He's short and light for an NFL DE but he plays with a passion, good balance (rarely if ever knocked off his feet), good handusage (gets off blocks) and has a good burst. He was a leader on a great defense and despite being the focus, still had impressive stats. While Graham and Morgan and most good DE's get about 10-12 sacks, Hughes had a staggering 15 the previous season and still came out high this year. He's just an excellent football player without ideal NFL measureables. I'm sure he could gain 5-10lbs and be in the same range as Graham. Most have his as a 2nd rnd pick. And I believe he also has the athleticism to play OLB should he not play well at DE. I see little downside in that he should be a very productive DE or OLB. Could be an Elvis Dumervil, but also might need to switch to OLB.

Griffen - Griffen has elite athleticism and ideal NFL size. At about 6'4 and over 270, he ran a mid-4.6 40 at the combine. Did I say he's a great athlete? Only issue is he was a part time player so he's raw as a football player. He WAS very productive in his part time playing...think he had about 8 sacks (though USC's D tends to be stacked). Could be a Jared Allen type DE and be dominant, but being so raw means he doesn't read/diagnose plays very well yet and his ability to redirect and what type of scheme (outside of attack) he can flourish in is unknown. He'll probably need a lot of coaching up while he starts as a rotational pass rusher. He'll also need to develop a greater array of pass rush moves as NFL LT's are not one trick pony's. Upside is awesome...but can get get there and how quickly (if ever) will it happen. Gamble on greatness pick.

JPP - 6'5, 270 - Also a great athlete with long arms and a very high motor. Goes all out on every play. Also very raw. Has only started one year of college ball (this season) and only had 6 sacks despite having his freakish athletic ability and (unlike the others who were the main focus of blocking schemes) he has George Selvie drawing all the attention. His lack of stats is disturbing for his talent and the situation he was in. However, he is a great athlete (not quite the size/speed ratio of Griffen) and hasn't scratched the surface of his potential. Again, can he get there, can he help with the pass rush early despite not really having many pass rush moves and how well does he play the run and diagnose plays. Much more of an athlete than a football player at this point. Of these guys, has the highest bust factor but the 2nd highest ceiling based on size/speed measureables.

Because any of them could be there, it'll be interesting to see if the Titans look for the best athlete with the most upside (JPP or Griffen) or the best player (Graham, Morgan, Hughes) or trade down and be happy with just getting any of these 5.

How highly or low do you rate these guys based on my breakdown?

Note, I don't list Dunlap in here because I would NOT take him in rnd 1 in any cirumstance as he is a LOW motor player with little passion for the game and not as big eye popping stats as you'd expect with someone of his size/speed/talent/experience and playing on an absolutely stacked Florida D. He's got bust written all over him. He apparently also didn't do well in interviews at the combine. Another bad sign.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 5
  7. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Gut, you are the MAN.. Read the whole thing and couldn't agree with you more about each and everyone.

8. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I agree. Great job Gut.

9. 24

24 Starter

While I agree JPP's stats are not impressive considering his talent, we should remember that he only started 7 games, and it was his first season in Div. I. Also, I still think that JPP has more potential than Griffen. I've watched Griffen for the past 3 years, and he has amazing explosion for his size, but he never lived up to expectations. That makes me think he doesn't quite have the work ethic that these other guys have. Without the work, he'll never live up to his potential. Finally, I think Morgan is easily the best DE in this draft. He has the production, size, smarts, and motor to succeed. If he's there at our pick, we better take him.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Thanks for the compliments!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar