Question.........do you buy a D or buy an O with your 40 mil or do you mix it up with

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bongo59, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

Jevon has a chance to be cut but looking at his deal the chance is greater he is cut loose a yr later.................

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Okay. Let's hope Mawae is a freak and actually maintains a high level of play at age 40. Here's an honest question...

Why can't this team run the football in the red zone?

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you have to get in to the redzone to run it in the redzone. i think we are fairly efficient running the ball when we get in the redzone, we just 1. dont or 2. have trouble actually getting inside the 25.

4. TitanJeff

What about 2004 was a good running game? We finished 14th with a 116.9 per game average. That's close to average in the league. As bad as we are now, we are 12th with a 113.4 average. You get a boost from Young's carries and two games against weaker run defenses.

Obviously, it's hard to run the football when you have to abandon it as the Titans have many times this season. But I think a better indication is how effective the Titans are running in on third and short and in the red zone.

Best I remember, we struggled running the football on third down and short and in the red zone in 2004 as well. I honestly think that points to an inability of the interior to get a push.

They were an excellent running team long before Dinger joined them.

5. Nine

Nine Starter

Keep in mind, Chris Brown and most of the O-line were lost about halfway through the season, and the latter half of the schedule was mostly the Billy-and-Bennett show. But when CB was on the field and the O-line was more or less intact, the Titans' running game was among the best in the league.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

for the first half of the game at least.

7. TitanJeff

From memory, I don't recall a great running game. The Titans finished about the middle of the league. Brown broke some big runs which are a credit to him but I remember a bad and hurting Titans D that season which forced the offense to abandon the run and throw the football. Teams pulled back to prevent the big pass which opened some opportunities for the running game when it was used and make Volek look like the second-coming of Elway.

I do remember the Titans being unable to convert third and short with the run game and the same difficulty we have now running in the red zone. To me, that gives a better picture of the run game then and now.

8. Nine

Nine Starter

Point well taken.

Brown averaged a very impressive 4.9 yards per rush in 2004....in fact, he led the league. But it's hard to call it a strong ground game when they couldn't pick up one or two yards when they needed it.

9. TitanJeff

Exactly my point. I think you have to give credit to the OL for Brown's season but much of his yards were big gainers when the Titans were in the middle of the field. They weren't able to do it when teams stacked it in to stop them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar