Questionable character players-my take on it.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nickmsmith, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Where I find myself agreeing with Riverman time and time again sometimes I just get lost in your dribble Elf... yeah, I call this little nugget dribble... first you call that other guys post total b.s. and then you say you got all the way through college before you realized that not everyone has the gift or opprotunity to go themselves?... now you are sick of Dads like me and fitantitans that would like to think of the athletes as role models? You want to criticize the fathers on the forum who take their children to the games for having to explain the headache that certain players cause their respective teams?

Paul: Hey daddy! Titans! When are we going to go see Titans! PacMan! Yea Pacman! Pacman fast! Fast like Flash!!!

Bipolar:
    yeah Buddy... Pacman is pretty fast isn't he? You know son... one day when you decide whatever it is you want to do you can be as good at whatever that is just so long as you work hard like Pacman...:pacman:

Paul: I know Daddy... Hey Daddy... what does "make it rain" mean???

(awkward, uncomfortable silence)

Bipolar: That means "give that man six" son...:suspect:

When you become a parent as opposed to a childless, jock-strap chasing intern Elf... just let me know when you become eligible to issue a valid opinion on fathers, sons, role models and ballgames...

2. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

....yea, but some :moon2: are far superior than others.:ha:

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Nice post BP.

Not a parent myself but you enlightened me with a different perspective.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I'm glad he's got a good woman. Change that one to "be in bed by 2am". :)

Smoking dope is illegal, as are alot of other things a large sector of the population participate in. I separated the two, because marijuana use often does 2 insidious things to users of which they are unaware- the first is that it promotes apathy and the second is it serves as an escape. This can springboard a user to try substances with a greater "high" and addictive potential. I don't want to see Pac start using "dope to cope". It could lead to a precipitous decline in his football talent.

I like Pac for who he is off the field. I can relate to not having a Dad around and having to figure things out on my own. I respect that he has taken his skills and with anger and perseverance managed to be successful with his career. I relate to how he found sports as an environment for acceptance and affirmation. I also understand his loyalty to his friends who are less successful, and frankly "dead-beats". I can relate to his love for having a good time.

I hope he recognizes his boundaries- obeys the law, avoids pitfalls like friends who really don't care for his good fortune or welfare and the pitfall of drugs. I hope his loyalty to his "friends" doesn't blind him to what is best for his family and him.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

It's the other side of the hater card. I'm a huge fan of Pacman. I agree with bigtitan53279... as a super fan, a season ticket holder... I never miss games... even the pre-season... I love the "me against the world" attitude that Riverman is always talking about. I really think that Pacman is an asset. At the same time he is a huge liability. It's all these public embarrassments I could do without. I really don't understand the "anti-role model" mentality that is present here. To me, if I were a big star... all these kids looking up to me would be inspiring to me as a player. I would feel a sense of duty not to let those kids down.

Man, kids love their heros. Right now my boy is all caught up in Superman. All the time it's Superman this and Superman that... the nice thing about Superman is that he is fictional.
    (don't tell SK) [​IMG]
    It doesn't matter though... kids latch on to people. It's in their nature. As a fan, I could really care less whether Pacman has a whole harem of strippers living with him just so long as he's there every Sunday at noon... At the same time... as a Dad, I just want this character stuff to clear up and blow over once and for all. Pacman is a high-profile player. He was taken #6 overall and has been playing at a near Pro Bowl level.

I bet he could make the Pro Bowl if he could get through a season without incident... I know the Pro Bowl is no huge accolade but it's voting is mostly based on peer opinion, whether that is based on ability, performance, or character is up to the player casting the ballot... I'm not talking about fan voting... but if I were a player I'm not sure I'd blow a vote on Pacman the knuckle head... If he gets his act together that would be a whole other matter... Just saying...

Pacman, whether he likes it or not is thrust into a position of being a role model for the youth. This has been going on since organized sports began here in America... all the boomers on this forum know what I'm talking about. I'm sure Hank Aaron inspired someone here years ago. Billy Williams, Frank Robinson, Willie Mays... did any of those guys complain about the social responsibility that came with their job? Someone made refernce to the Supreme Court justices... not everyone's kid turns out to be Condoleezza Rice.

I am having a struggle with the whole "politicians should be your children's role models" notion. Have they started to award life-long appointments to the NFL now? Or does a life in the judiciary exempt one from ethical behavior? Does anyone have any idea what Clarence Thomas' 40 time is? Whatever it is I'm sure that John Roberts could own him in man coverage.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Do I want my child to grow up and be like the Pacman off the field? Hell no. He makes REALLY bad decisions. Do I hold Pacman responsible because MY child things he is awesome on the field- No. Do I hold Pacman responsible if my 11 year old son wants to shower his girl classmates with quarters to "make it rain"- no. I hold MYSELF responsible to educate him the difference between being a good football player and a good citizen

It may be an inescapable fact of life that kids look at athletes as role models, but it ISN'T THE ATHLETE'S RESPONSIBILITY.

Too many parents ABDICATE THEIR RESPONSIBILITY for educating their children and want to hold the athlete responsible to some "nebulous" standard of behavior. The law is the law- we all must abide it. If an athlete breaks the law, GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND USE THE OPPORTUNITY TO EDUCATE YOUR CHILD. That is your perogative and responsibility as his or her parent. YOU shape your child's perception and behavior the way YOU see fit. Don't blame it on an athlete that in no way can relate to you.

It is nice when an athlete has impeccable moral character or demonstrate behavior I want my child to emulate. But come on- ALOT of what we see and what they are really like is BS anyway. (eg- Tom Brady) So as a responsible parent I should never let my child alone to interpret a news story regarding a professional athlete. I should be there to discuss it.

7. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

If I made any personal remarks towards Riverman, my bad. If I made any personal remarks towards Pacman, just my opinion.

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

If & when it's determined what action NFL takes against Pacman as a consequence of his off field actions, I do not support the Titans cutting him & I don't relate to those fans that want to see him gone.

If he's allowed to continue playing in the longterm (& I don't doubt for a minute that he'll be allowed to play) running him off the team would be the height of stupidity. The only thing we should be concerned with is that if the league is prepared to let him play then it has to be as a Titan.

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Which I respect :yes:

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

[​IMG]

:biglaugh:
    did he really do that?

I think putting up with fickle and whiney fans that expect too much comes with the job territory as a professional athlete. What is expected as a footballer is to always do your best and to be there week in and week out. In order for him to be there he must do his best to stay out of and avoid trouble. It seems that it is particulary hard for him (and admitedly, others) to do that. He still must do this as a function of being a footballer doing his best to stay out of trouble just as he does his best to score when he gets a touch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar