questions about Henry

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by backer4155, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Henry was a proven RB, but his last years in Buffalo and his year here has been disappointing, his suspension aside.

Despite TO's antics, he still performs when he's on the field, you can't question that.

2. I'm sure we could get something in trade for Henry, but won't be able to trade him without paying him his $4M bonus first. We are not going to do that.

If he's willing to take a big paycut, he'll stay. Otherwise we'll cut him.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Then I bet he takes the paycut.

However, I can think of a few teams who could use Henry.

Jets, Cardinals, Raiders, Vikings, Packers, Ravens if they lose Lewis to FA. Steelers also perhaps, since they won't be able to draft LenDale White without a serious tradeup. Eagles, possibly.

Some teams have or will have a glaring need for a RB. A 4th for Henry in such a circumstance isn't wholly unreasonable.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Try to keep them both...

Henry needs to have a new contract that will pay him about $1M less per year. A trade is a waste of time because he is a year older, coming off a second straight nonproductive year and he has the drug thing. A 5th rd pick is the most we could get for him. We can dump him and save $1.5M against the cap which would allow us some money to pick up another mid level back. That's the choice.

Brown is guarenteed to be back because he is under contract for less than what he is worth. Both brown and henry can be back next year counting no more than $2M against the cap combined. Both should be motivated to play better. It's not either or. Brown will be back it''s a question about henry only.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If Henry takes a paycut he is worth more to us than what we could get in draft picks IMO. We need a solid backup to Brown anyway and Brown is in the last year of his contract.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't understand some of you guys..

Travis henry has less than 700 yards rushing over the past 2 seasons with a less than hearty 3.6 yards per carry. What has he done that is so special that you like him more than brown? He will be 28 in october, has all this drug crap hanging over his head. He is not trade bait.

My main reason for trying to get henry back here is so we can get some value for that 3rd rd pick we gave up. We release henry outright we save $1.5m against the cap. Who can we get for that $1.5M? Labrandon toefield or najeh davenport? Those are the only free agent RBs i can think of who could actually have value and fit within that price range. Unless you guys want to pay up for an ahman green.

Since henry is at least as good or better than the two players i mentioned i say let's try to get his contract to a level that is worthwhile. I hate to think we wasted that third rd pick.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Doesn't it cost the Titans $4 million in a roster bonus if they decide to keep him? Henry is going to have to be ready to deal and that means EVERYTHING is probably thrown out the window from the initial contract. So we don't know yet what Henry will cost against the cap in '06 and beyond.

If Henry is a bargain, I'm all for keeping him. But if the Titans have any confidence that Nash can become a reliable #2 RB, then I think Henry isn't going to be offered much. I hate the thought of a wasted third-rounder too but why throw good money at bad?

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff...

Here is a breakdown of henry's contract and yes all the fiqures i have been using for him do include the $4M roster bonus.

Henry's contract runs from 2005-2009. His signing bonus was $710,000. His annual salary is $1M and the $4M roster bonus is prorated from 2006-2009. That means henry will count $2.14M against the cap. $1M is salary, 142K prorated singing bonus and $1M pro rated roster bonus. If they release him outright they save $1.5M of that against the cap.

What i'm sure they want to do is to sign a deal that is shorter and obviously does not include any bonuses that large and has more incentives built in. Seems to me they could keep him for at least 500k less of a cap hit than that. Look at it this way we can have brown and henry both for less than half what we are paying sirmon a year.

9. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

1st preference - go into next year with the same backfield at a reduced price

2nd preference - dump Henry, get a draft pick and a vet FA with the cap savings

3rd preference - Brown #1, Nash #2, ??? #3

I really hope its not the 3rd preference. I'm not sold on Nash.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think Henry ever sees that roster bonus. They'll rework his deal or he'll be gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar