Quinn Johnson doubtful for Steelers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

The Titans injury report heading into the season opener is as follows: linebacker Zaviar Gooden (ankle) is out, fullback Quinn Johnson (quad) is doubtful, and tackle Dave Stewart (calf) and linebacker Akeem Ayers (ankle) are questionable.

The Titans will discuss today what to do about the fullback situation, since it doesn’t look good for Johnson.

One option would be to activate Collin Mooney from the practice squad, though that would require cutting someone from the current 53-man roster. It doesn’t sound as if the team has any plans to cut Johnson, as Titans coach Mike Munchak said he’s hoping Johnson is healed for next week’s game.

A second option at fullback would be to use one of the team’s three tight ends – Delanie Walker, Craig Stevens or Taylor Thompson – in that role.

The Titans had two fullbacks – Michael Robinson and John Conner – visit on Friday, but there were no immediate plans to sign either player.

Stewart participated only in walk-through drills on Friday, but Munchak still sounded optimistic about his chances of playing on Sunday in Pittsburgh.

“We’ll have a light walk-through practice (Saturday) and that will be a good test for him,” Munchak said. “If he’s still not quite right, we can wait for Sunday … But he’s someone who’s played with these things before, so I have confidence he’ll be there.”

Ayers had been limited Wednesday and Thursday in practice, but was a full participant on Friday. Munchak expects him to play on Sunday, though he may not get quite as many snaps as he normally would.

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The competition between Johnson and Mooney must have been quite a bit for them to not make him active. I know they run some formations with Thompson/Stevens back there but I'd think it would be limiting to not have Mooney in there.

And who gets the axe if Mooney is put on the 53?

3. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Please sign John Conner. With him leadblocking for CJ we would be unstoppable. Crazy as it may sound I think he's a top 5 pure fullback. He only got cut in Cincy because Charles plays tight end and the staff is invested in him. Conner won that competition for the spot.

4. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Michael Robinson would be a better pickup the John Conner

5. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Quickest and best solution? Put Jackie Battle at FB for a game.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Just cut this bum, being up Mooney from the PS and then sign Quinn back when he's healthy or bring in either Connor or Robinson next week when their salaries aren't guaranteed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar