Rating the pass defense

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TM, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

I am not a big fan of Schwartz. I never will be unless our defense gets back to the top. Since that ain't gonna happen. I will never like him.

However, last night while watching the Heat/Pistons, Hubie Brown stated "that an NBA team is similar to a NFL team. Your only as good as your weakest link."

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Fuller first in line for nickel spot...

"One other significant note: Vincent Fuller, the second-year safety who’s coming off an injury that cost him all but the first game of his rookie season, looks to rank ahead of Andre Woolfolk as the nickelback."

http://www.tennessean.com/
    -------------------------------

From paul kuharsky in his monday may 15th column from the tennessean. Maybe fisher isn't as satified with our slot coverage as some may think.

Again that is from paul kuharsky of the tennessean not me or any board member.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Tiotans pass coverage...

As a team we ranked 32th(last) in TD passes given up. 33 touchdown passes against us over 2 a game!

On the other side of things we were 30th in ints with just 9 per game.

To put this in perspective the median team in 2005 gave up 19 TD passes and got 16 ints.

On a per game basis the leagues average defenses gave up 1.18 TD passes a game but picked off an averge of one pass per game. Almost even.

We gave up 2.1 TDs passes per game and only took away .56 ints per game.

It's the lack of ints that were most pathetic to me. Our 2 first rd cornerbacks combined for one int.(woolfolk) and each of our starting safeties had just one int. Reynaldo alone accounted for 1/3 of the whole team's ints! Thank goodness for him!

4. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Yeah, but Woolfolk makes tackles on 95% of the receptions he gives up.

:hmm:

That "stat" came right from Andre's Uncle.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Does running behind a WR with your arms stretched out like a Scooby-Doo chase scene count as anything. Titans led the league in Scooby-Doo moments.

6. Interceptions go a long way, but overall passing defense is really what you should want to know and the Titans were #17 overall in passing defense.. Now a team noted for having a good defense is the Broncos, however, their passing defense was ranked 29th and yielded a starting pro bowler. Champ Bailey... Now to your credit on your post, they had 20 ints to the Titans 9, with only Oakland and Houston being worse 5 and 7 respectively or not respectively. The Titans overall, could get more interceptions. One key on interceptions and everyone that really follows the game will say this is true is a solid pass rush, pressure on QBs generates more ints, why, rushed passes, not enough touch on passess to due to being rushed and over thrown due to scrambling and not setting feet before the pass.... Game fundamentals. The only solid pass rusher last season was KVB....

Also of credit to your post was the TDs ratio... Titans Dead Last... ummm ummm ummm, gotta fix it, but everything is fixable.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Ah no....

but overall passing defense is really what you should want to know and the Titans were #17 overall in passing defense..
    ---------------------------------------------

No that doesn't help at all. Total yardage given up is misleading because we were behind in so many games and because our run defense was also poor. Teams didn't have to air it our against us.

It's the effectiveness of our pass defense and when we needed a stop we didn't get it. When we needed a turnover we didn't get it. to give up 33 TDs and only get back 9 ints speaks volumes.

As for your criticism of our pass rush that was actually a strong point. We were tied for 8th total sacks and KVB was 4th in the league. KVB accounted for 30% of our 41 sacks so it wasn't just him.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What else can we say?

A tennessean columist writes one sentence about vince fuller maybe being the number one nickel and he has to be inundated with angry emails? I post that ONE SENTENCE, one sentence and was just accused of being dishonest and of trying to mislead someone. To my knowledge that is all kuharsky has written about the matter. Is there more? I posted all i know of but i get called a liar?

When someone says that a certain DB makes 95% of all his tackles i would think that a compliment. Wouldn't most reasonable people? According to WU brian has no business writing such a post but WU has every right to go on a hate rampage over it.

When a poster is so flamable that the slightest thing creates a firestorm of nonsense and victimization you have to wonder if there is more there than just defending a nephew from attack because these rants. These rants occur even when andre is not under attack at all.

An entire thread was eliminated because of this nonsense so can we make it two?

I know this that when the issue of andre woolfolk or the titan's defensive backfield comes up i'm going to post my opinion and no amount of psychotic drivel or hate filled nonsense is going to stop me.

9. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

33 TDs is unacceptable.

It does not matter how many Passing yards you give up if they are scoring on you left and right.

And teams did not need to go to the air on us because we were not able to stop the run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar