Rational Re-build discussion

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Well apparently I know what you don't understand...what a strawman argument is.
    I've posted the definition of a strawman argument.
    It is indeed exactly what your Kampman example is.

You just admitted that your argument was a strawman.
    What part about the definition that I listed about it being a strawman argument don't you understand?
    I'm honestly getting quite amused at your Baghdad Bob 'refusal to admit the obvious' mindset, and chuckle out loud at it.
    The fact of the matter is, I called your argument a strawman argument that proves virtually nothing. You refuse to admit it, even after other members here have backed me up on it. I guess we're all stupid, right? There's really nothing else I can say about it.
    Everything else you posted is moot and there's no further need to argue against it, as it is about as productive as debating with say, a stump; or a brick wall; or my 3 year old female Boxer dog; or my mountain bike. Have a nice day! :)

2. Lava

Lava Camp Fodder

TBC, care to address the fact that you've been constantly insulting me under a false pretense due to your lack of reading comprehension?

I think fewer people are on your side here than you lead yourself to believe.

3. gainer_titans

gainer_titans Camp Fodder

So long as Jeff Fisher is on our team it will always be 4-3 no matter the personnel so the 3-4 arguement is mute so long as he is the coach.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Tbc...

TBC_titan...

Are you aware that there is a differences between arguing what is definite, possible, and likely?

I said, "Correct, Kampman not being able to adjust to be an OLB in a 3-4 doesn't prove than any other 4-3 DE can't do it."

You said, "You just admitted that your argument was a strawman."

However, I'm not arguing that Kampman being a bad 34 OLB proves no one in the league can't make the change. Therefore, you're straw man argument ends there.

Conversely, your straw man argument doesn't prove that any 43 DE CAN make the transition.

So what do we have left. Your argument that 43 DE's and 34 OLBs are essentially the same...which anyone who's played or coached football knows is incorrect. The FACT is that 34 OLB's and 43 DE's have different responsibilities, have different athletic requirements, and different purposes BECAUSE of their different responsibilities. Additionally, the backside 34 DE isn't the same as a 43 DE or DT. Do you know the difference between a 1 gap player and a 2 gap player?

Your argument that a 4-3 D is essentially the same as a 2-5? Again, anyone who's played or coached football knows this is incorrect. There is a reason no one runs a base 2-5 alignment. But let's see how much football you know...explain to me how you think a 2-5 defense would work and compare that to a 4-3 and a 3-4.

These schemes didn't happen overnight, they evolved over time for reasons. Your other argument that a 3-4 is the same as dropping one olb down to have a similar alignment to a 43 doesn't mean they are the same even if the alignment is similar. But since you think they are, please explain the run fits for each player based on the different alignments for the 3-4 d and the 4-3 d.

And BTW, have you noticed since being challenged you have stopped trying to prove your statements above? I have. See if you can answer the above questions. Then we'll know if YOU KNOW what you're talking about.

And in case you weren't aware of it, the NFL drafts players to fit into certain positions based on a player's ahtleticism, size, speed, knowledge of the position and to a lesser extent, knowledge of a system or type of system. You apparently don't think these things are important in projecting what position and system a player would fit best into. And that the main reason your argument fails.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I don't even have to search. I can think of one currently having a monster season after switching to OLB in a 3-4, and that's Elvis Dumervil.

Good ol' Gut. Don't have much of an argument? Just talk down to em'. That will earn their respect. :rolleyes: Straw man argument is all you have, and that's a straw man argument on incomplete data. Shaky at best Gut, but keep upholding it like it's the word of God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar