Rational Re-build discussion

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidsrobbins

davidsrobbins Camp Fodder

you mean like AP, MJD, D Williams, Barber, R Brown, Ray Rice, Slaton, Addai, Brandon Jacobs, Mendenhall, Moreno all in the last 5 years!

Sure I agree that CJ is special however my point is that RB's are not special! There is 8 listed above that have come in the last 5 years alone, if you post a great run O line then it is pretty easy to get a guy to run through the hole. I just think as weak as the team is and as much as it is lacking a play making Defensive player now that we should capitalize on our CJ and investment by dealing him when he is at his peak!

Heck we aren't doing anything but going possibly 0-6 with him so why not use him before he loses his skills. I think the best way we can use him is to deal him for a great D player.

2. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

The fact that you don't understand what a strawman argument is, and the fact that your use of Kampman as one pretty much itself shows that I'm more intellectually gifted than you. Not trying to be condescending, just stating the apparently obvious.
    Psychop seems to understand it. He must be beyond high school as well.

In simpler terms...using Kampman's inability to adjust to a 3-4 scheme in the context that since Kampan can't adjust...that must automatically mean that every other DE in the league wouldn't have the ability to adjust either.

I'm still baffled that you don't see you used a hollow, strawman argument example to TRY to prove something. Wow.

I'll let you figure out the strawman argument thing first before we address this one.

3. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

Jimmy Redhat is that you?!

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Neither of you have proved anything. Just because you can point out a fallacy doesn't make your side of the argument right. That's a fallacy in itself.

You have provided no evidence whatsoever that the Titans' current personnel would adapt well to a 3-4.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I have not read all 72 posts but isn't rebuilding for this team already a done thing given the number of older players leaving for free agency?

After our UFA leave we will have plenty of money to bring in younger players.

6. Lava

Lava Camp Fodder

I'm still baffled that you haven't figured out that it wasn't me who posted that yet. I haven't said anything about Kampman. Keep going with the personal attacks though, even though you are attacking the wrong person. I like hearing how I'm still in high school, how much more intellectually gifted you think you are, etc.. I'm well aware what a straw man fallacy is, but I'm not going to address a fallacy I didn't commit.

You still think I'm the one who's confused here?

7. SpartanFan

SpartanFan Camp Fodder

Sorry, no Jimmy Redhat here....Just a long suffering Lions fan.

8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

The only way it could be proved is if the Titans actually started playing the 3-4. Otherwise, it's just an opinion.

Just for fun though, imagine the holy :grrr::grrr::grrr::grrr: running through the mind of a tackle with a barreling Vanden Bosch running at him with an extra five yards of momentum.

I've got nothing against the 4-3, but up front, it is very predictable. I think rolltide mentioned 4-3 DE's covering the flats. How often have you seen one of our DE's covering the flats? MAYBE once every four or five GAMES? 99% of the time, the four up front just rush. The Titans actually have DE's fast enough, they might be used successfully in coverage, but it's rare that we do that. With a 4-3, QB's like Peyton Manning usually know exactly where to slide protection. With a 3-4, you can keep all four LB's up, and he doesn't know where the pressure is going to come from, almost like having a LB blitz without taking a man out of coverage. It's always drove Manning crazy.

9. Lava

Lava Camp Fodder

I kind of feel like TBC owes me a bit of an apology, but whatever.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I was going to wait until I finished the thread to reply, but since you've asked:

CJ is clearly over all the backs you later mentioned except AP. Not to mention, the Titans have drafted EG, Chris Brown, LenDale White, Henry, Johnson and Ringer in the last 12 years. I'm not counting poor Marcus Nash, but that's a 1 RB every 2 year average. Only recently have the Titans dipped into the well repeatedly. I give the same argument here that I have about White: why attempt to trade someone when they fill a role, a need, or are just flatout in the top 2-3 at the position in the league. It's taken years to get someone of this caliber at the position again. I don't think you just give it away for it's own sake.

Your first argument was that he would save us money by trading him. That's not true. Firstly, the signing bonus gets accelerated. Secondly, overall, he's only averaging around $2.4M/year over the first five. Why would we want to trade away such obvious value? Because of what Forte and Slaton did last year? Felix Jones has chronic injuries. Mendenhall missed an entire season. The only player it would be worth considering in a package on defense would be Patrick Willis, and I still wouldn't do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar