RB Situation

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Crash Override, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sledge

Sledge Guest

For the talent that Brown has, he's a softy. He lacks the mean streak. This is the NFL, not junior high. All the top RBs in the league like to put their helmet down once in a while and take on defenders. Brown tries to figure-skate around defenders. It's all nice, but unless you're Eric Dickerson, that won't fly. We need a guy who'll take the ball and act as if he was holding his baby...

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If they were "seriously" looking for a RB in round two why didn't they take White with their original 2nd pick. Reese actually passed on White and only because he got lucky White was still there did he draft him later.

Think about what a bonehead Reese was. He passed on White AND Winston Justice by trading in the second round. If someone had taken White before we picked and we drafted Hester Reese would have won the moron of the draft award. Then after taking White Reese forgot he had already taken a RB and took another one. Brilliant.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

This is the NFL. You are correct. So why is game film of White playing against Arizona State going to prove anything. Brown had more spectacular highlights than White in college. Brown ran for 198 yards and 6 scores in the big game against Nebraska that put Colorado in the big 12 championship game in 2001 (got that game on DVD?). Colorado then went on to crush Texas hopes of playing for the national championship in the big 12 game as Colorado beat Texas on Brown's 188 yards and 3 TDs (got the DVD on that one?).
    White has not proven anything in the NFL and until I see him handle the full workload I'll reserve judgment. While you are in the mood for showing college highlights of White why not show us the one where USC had 4th and short late in the championship game and White got stopped cold. When that happens to Brown he is soft? Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing White but he played behind the best OL in college football. Gerald Riggs Jr. could have looked great behind the USC line. White still has alot to prove IMO and I hope he does show something.

4. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Wow...who urinated in your whole wheat cereal?

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If they were, then they have no faith that Nash would ever develop into a backup RB because the Titans usually keep four RBs on the final 53-man roster.

If the Titans decide to go Brown, Henry, White, Fleming only, is Nash even allowed to be on the practice squad after a full season on the active roster?

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

No. Well, depends on how many games he was active for. Isn't it around eight?

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

True...however, Brown only had 36 fewer combined yards in 2005 v 2004. He improved his pass-catching ability out of the backfield.

2004 - 1067 rushing 6 TDs, 40 1st downs, 147 passing, 6 1st downs (20 for 7.4 avg, 0 TDs)

2005 - 851 rushing 5 TDs, 37 1st downs, 327 passing, 14 1st downs (25 for 13.1 avg, 2 TDs)

So in 2005, though fewer yards in more games, he was more productive in 1st downs and touchdowns, and showed he could last a bit longer. Not to mention, he is setting himself up to be the better change-up option over Henry, since he's developing those catching abilities out of the backfield. I think he's going to have a very nice season this year if he can continue to improve his strength and technique.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

didnt brown bruise his sternum in one of those games?

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Nash was on the 53-man roster the entire season. I believe you can't put him on the practice squad now.

If this is the case, the Titans have to carry five RBs on the final 53-man roster or release him.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree. Even if Brown was limited in his carries to where he only ran for about 800 yards for the season on about 200 carries or less, he could still put up well over 400 yards receiving if they would use him appropriately. That is decent productivity. With a guy like White putting up another 800 yards on 200 carries we have a great tandem. Especially if White can get the tough short yardage first downs and TDs. If the OL can improve over their dismal showing from last year Brown could easily run for another 1000 yards and still get 400 yards receiving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar