RB's as WR's?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Sep 26, 2013.

1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE Tweet me @JCBRAVE

I have a question. Why is nearly every NFL team using RB's as WR's?

Its a decoy play vs man coverage, but the plays Ive seen never equate to first downs.

Why is this happening if it doesnt work?
  2. Fry

Fry Hatin' is what I do.

Keeps regular personnel on the field, which keeps the defense's regular personnel on the field. Causes mismatches.
    • High Five High Five x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

Ok well it doesnt work tho. Why ia every team I watch doing it if its not producing yards?
  4. Fry

Fry Hatin' is what I do.

It helps define coverage too. If a linebacker runs out there with the back you know it's man-to-man.
    • High Five High Five x 1
  5. JCBRAVE

They know its man when they send the RB out to play WR.

I can see it confirms the coverage but it essentially takes out one of your players.
  6. Fry

Fry Hatin' is what I do.

Well if the linebacker vacates the middle of the field it opens up space for an inside receiver.

Haven't you ever played Madden!? This is basic ****!
    • High Five High Five x 5
  7. JCBRAVE

This is True
  8. rodgev

rodgev Starter

You would think that you could line up the Rb at Wr to start the play and motion him back to the backfield the LB would still have to motion this defining coverage right?
  9. Gut

Gut Starter

All of the above are correct. Teams aren't so much looking at coverage (man or zone) as much as they are looking matchups. In our regular personel, if we put our 2 WR's in the slot and the 2 outside players are a TE and a rb, who is covering them, are they playing off or is a S rolling over the top. This grouping can work to your favor in a variety of ways. First, if it's man, defines most of the coverage (still have to watch for traps and rotations) and who the matchup is. If it's zone, can allow the CB to take out the TE or RB while your best WR attacks the middle of the D! Another good option against zone is the bubble screen to the WR or in this case, the RB! You can get a numbers advantage if you snap it on time!

Some teams do come out in that look and motion the running back back into the backfield...just seeing how the defense would play it. With some of these formations, you can really figure how the defense is gonna cover different ppl.

Gut
  10. Ensconatus

Ensconatus Losing faith...

Damn... Fry schooled Braved...