Re-sign Haynesworth NOW

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Vince10, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think the Titans are in a current cap position to sign everyone they want to keep. They don't have to touch Roos and Stewart at all this year so they can get Haynesworth, Bell and Odom under contract. I think Starks is a goner as is LaBoy unless he accepts what a person who plays on only 20 snaps makes.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Way to be the voice of reason. Let's make sure he continues this dominance throughout the season, doesn't lose it and do something crazy, and stays injury free.

After the season, imo, I'd like to see the franchise tag used. It will probably make him mad, but at least we won't be locked into some long-term deal that may see him revert to slacker ways.

Glad to see him finally live up to the potential and he looks beast this year.

3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Got an up to date list of who will be an unrestricted FA next year? I can only think of Al, Bell, Troupe, Odom, LaBoy, Starks....Hall maybe?

Just wondering who they'll think about, and possibly in what order of importance.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

List of those in the last year of their contract posted by someone else:

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showpost.php?p=326920&postcount=2

I think that list omits Scaife.

Of that list, I think the Titans will try to keep (in the order of importance I place on it right now):

Haynesworth
    Stewart
    Bell
    Odom
    Bironas
    Scaife
    Fuller
    Hall
    Amano

I'm sure there may be a couple of others who will be decent backups and may accept smaller deals but there are a lot of players on the current roster who will need to be replaced.

5. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

OK..OK...i'll extend his contract.....jeez

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Sox and Roll, I agree for the most part. Where I mildly disagree, RT, is the idea of playing to, or just under, Redding's deal. I think the strategy has to be that of flattering Haynesworth to a degree. To that end, he must have a contract with more overall value. I agree with the performance and workout bonuses should be in place, and leaning toward an inclination that there is a majority degree of truth in Al saying he's learned a lesson from last year, and perhaps the first five, I can see him agreeing to a deal that has those components.

But I think it needs to be bigger overall. Only "bigger" will appeal to Al. I give him some this, and some next year. Early. March, probably. Combined, around $10M. Consensus opinion will be that he deserves a contract greater than those mentioned.

Player / Opinion

Stroud / Ultimately overpaid. (Injury)

Henderson / Appropriately paid, up til this point.

Williams / C'mon.

Redding / Really?

Haynesworth / Has the chance to be Henderson / Jenkins for the next five.

Opinion will drive it. Al may want to test the water. He does at this moment. The Titans have to come early to make an impression, and let him know they're in there. Waiting until the frenzy starts sends the wrong message. I don't think they'll let that happen, though.

I think there are two containers in the negotiations that Haynesworth or his agent would have to come to recognize: 1) You haven't yet earned a Dwight Freeney sort of contract, so don't ask; 2) You're vital, but you're not more valuable to the team long-term than Vince Young. There's your limits. The Titans can make it somewhat more face-valuable long-term by tacking on a couple of voidable years at the end. In the end, six to eight years, and the contract must at least be in the fifties. That's what you have to do to get it done.

What they need to create is a lucrative, mutual relationship-building contract that has the best interest of both the player and club in mind. If they come up with that, we have the best chance...but it can't be no punk-esque Steelerish contract...it has to be they type a player can proudly retire upon. If Haynesworth walks on a deal like that, that's on him.

That's just what I think.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

WTF?

G-links your analysis on stroud is all wrong. He is the best of the bunch and not until last year did he ever miss a game. He missed 5 games last year but played all 16 every year from 01. stroud has been to 3 pro bowls, henderson to one and haynesworth to none.

I'll take him in a new york minute on that contract and would gladly give up our top 3 draft choices from this year griffin, williams and henry to get him..

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We have quite a few guys to sign after this year. Bell and stewart especially. We have to keep stewart. If haynesworth is demanding a $10M a year freeney deal then i say forget it and just franchise him for next season. That's too much.

Haynesworth has never been to a pro bowl and just last year let the team down with that 5 week suspension. A redding type deal is not unreasonable but if he wants much more than that i say forget it.

The vikings in addition to the 3 year $22M deal with pat williams also gave their other DT kevin williams a 7 year $50M deal. Kevin williams made the pro bowl last season.

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Seems like a big list. Yeah we've got cap space....but enough to get most of our guys back? I'd want all of those guys back, and maybe add a few FA's, but that looks like a tall order.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff's list...

We could put bironas ahead of odom on that list. Bironas should be signed during this season. He has clearly proven his worth and is making so little money i would think he would be anxious to get a deal done.

Fuller is expendable with king, herndon and ryan here and griffin maybe moving back to safety next year. We may find it easier to keep troupe and let scaife go.

In all we only have about 5 guys we really have to sign and another 3-4 guys we would like to sign. I think we can do that. We can sign starks or simon to round out our DTs and with fisher here laboy is expendable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar