Real Time Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by DegenerateBUM, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DegenerateBUM

DegenerateBUM Starter

[​IMG]

I have been reading this forum since Vince Young was drafted. I've read almost every piece of relevant information that you guys share on here, especially in the offseason and directly after games. Yes, I've seen many pictures of JC Brave over the years.

I understand that I'm a "noob" here, but I hope that doesn't detract people from trying this out. This an idea I've had for a while and I think it could be a cool tool to track what all of us would do if we were the GM here. It's also "I told you so" ammunition, lol. I understand that gotitans archives old threads, but this is a way to effectively track and document the hypothetical decisions we would make if appointed the GM seat. Hopefully you guys like this and aren't thinking; "who the %#$! is this guy, coming in and trying to run the show".

Now that I got that disclaimer out of the way I'm going to explain my idea. I'm totally open to modifications and changes to this system from any willing participants.

You will be playing Titans GM on draft day. That means you will be submitting your selections in this thread in real time during the draft. So you will be "on the clock" when the Titans are. That means you won't be doing a mock and selecting players in the 3rd round that have already been drafted. We can track who all of us would have taken every year with a spreadsheet and we can look back at this spreadsheet to see who would have found the hidden gems and who would have drafted busts.

When you select a player different from the player that the Titans select (which will usually be the case) then the player that the Titans select will be taken off the draft board and to be assumed to have been drafted by the team who in reality, eventually drafts the player you select.

Ie. I select Laremy Tunisil #1. In reality the Titans select Jalen Ramsey. In reality the Chargers end up drafting Laremy Tunisil. . In my draft we assume the Chargers take Jalen Ramsey because Tunisil has been taken off my hypothetical draft board.

Trades:

If the Titans trade a pick you have a decision to make the same trade and make the selection(s) that comes with the newly acquired draft slot. Or you can opt not to trade, and select out of the slot that the Titans traded away in reality. You can't make any other trades.

If you are busy on draft day and want to participate, you can submit a draft que for every round to cover your bases.

So on draft day you should have a list of prospects so that you can cross off players that are taken. You can effectively "play GM" and track your results in the future.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Comments?

Stupid idea?

Give me some feedback guys

GoTitans.

Edit: Official Rules added below

Here are the rules for the "Real Time Draft". Read through them ahead of draft day so you can be prepared if you are interested in participating.

You can get as involved as you want. If you want to keep it simple, just post your picks when the Titans are on the clock. If they make a trade, draft out of the Titans new slot. If you want to get right into it, read the following rules.

Posting picks;

-Post your picks in the "Real Time Draft" thread in the NFL draft forum on draft day.

-Post your picks while the Titans are still "on the clock" in reality. That leaves you with plenty of time.

-If you time out your pick is forfeited unless the player you choose isn't drafted, in reality, by the time you post your pick.

Draft Day Trades;

-If the Titans make a trade in reality on draft day you will have the option to accept or decline. This is to open up the argument of whether or not the Titans should have traded the pick.

-If you trade the pick then you will draft out of the Titans new draft slot(s). It will be noted in the spreadsheet that you acquired new picks.

-If you keep the pick, draft out of the Titans' original slot and disregard the trade.

-You can't trade a pick if the Titans don't trade it in reality because appropriate value for that pick can't be determined.

Hypothetical;

When you select a player different than the one the Titans select (which will usually be the case) then the player that the Titans select, in reality, will be taken off the draft board as well. This player will be assumed to have been drafted by the team that eventually selects the player you chose.

IE; I select Laremy Tunisil #1 overall. In reality the Titans select Jalen Ramsey. In reality the Charges select Laremy Tunisil. In this situation we will assume the Chargers take Ramsey because Tunisil will have been taken off the hypothetical draft board.

Rounds You Will Draft;

-You will be strongly encouraged to make selections for at least Rounds 1 and 2.

-If you want to post your pick for round 3 it would be very beneficial to displaying your GM/scouting abilities/deficiencies.

-If you would like to post picks for Rounds 4-7 I will also record them and enter them into the spreadsheet. More data means more insight into your drafting capabilities.

I Will Be Working Or Busy on Draft Day;

-If you don't have time on draft day but still want to participate you can post your draft que in the "Real Time Draft" thread any time prior to the draft. You have the option of a large overall draft que or a separate draft when for each round, that you decide to participate in.

Edit: added 2016 real time draft results.

#1 DegenerateBUM, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    • High Five High Five x 2
  2. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

I can dig it man...I'm always down for something new on here and to bust chops and have some fun.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Solid idea but you're kidding yourself if you 1.) Belive people read all that and 2.) Will put in the work to make this happen

If by some miracle you get enough intrest to take the next step Ill play along.

4. DegenerateBUM

DegenerateBUM Starter

Well hopefully people read through it. If they breach the rules then the picks won't count I guess. Pretty simple rule set.

I'm sure it will generate some interest, if not then I guess it's just us 3 "competing" this year. I think it will be fun to look back at the results 10 years from now.

If you have any suggestions or don't like anything I'm all ears!

5. JCBRAVE

I think it's worth a try but it's gonna take constant matienence on your part to keep peoples intrest

6. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Could he do it as a poll question for each round or something Brave? Just thinking of an easy way to gather the info...

7. JCBRAVE

The idea is easy, the hard part is getting willing participants

It's not gonna be fun if only 3 guys do it. For one it'll open us up to unfair criticisms from trolls and then what?

It needs at least 10 wannabe GMs to be worthwhile IMO. Kinda like a FF league

8. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Gotcha! I wonder if he cut it down to maybe the first 3-4 rounds or something if more people would have fun with it.

9. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Or maybe TJ could give us some insight or set something up to gather the masses

10. JCBRAVE

That's probably a lot more appealing to some

4th and 5th rounders I at least can spell the names of properly, after that theyre all about the same TBH

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar