Really good Grantland article about the decline of both the offensive and defensive lines

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

lame/typical message board response. Not exactly sure how the receivers things is most ignorant thing you've read about the Titans. Youve posted enough and been on here enough to read a lot dumber things im sure.

We do need to get away from that. Clearly.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Okay, so I just exaggerated a bit, but it is a stupid comment regardless.

How many WRs have we taken number 1 in recent years, Britt and Wright. Now before Britt, one of the biggest problems we have had for the longest time, was no true number 1 receiver. We drafted Britt, things looked nice, and then he gets his typical yearly injury, arrest and does not look like he is going to be a Titan for long.

So, we again have no number one......Then last year, Washington has a great year at the number 1 spot. Only problem, its his only real good year and he is almost 30. Not exactly your ideal person to have at number one.

So now we go to the Wright pick. Nice fit, seems like a well rounded receiver and it fills a need. Britt was EXTREMELY lucky to have only been suspended one game. We had no way of knowing how many games he was going to be out. I think it is safe to say everyone thought it would be more than one.

Did you really want to go into the season with an aging Washington. Damian William who is by all accounts, average. Then Britt, who has torn his ACL twice, often injured, and generally always getting involved in some sort of trouble?

The receiver position was an issue going into the offseason. We have historically neglected the position and have spent a TOTAL OF TWO first round picks on the position since Kevin Dyson was drafted. That is not exactly overloading on the position like the article and that troll suggested earlier.

I stand by my statement that it was an ignorant statement, and you don't have to agree with me, but I think you will see my point.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Not to mention we ended drafted a QB at 8 the year before, and you kind of want someone for him to throw the ball too......

4. damersbrah

damersbrah Special Teams Standout

Wright was a good pick, he's been the best rookie WR thus far. I think for the most part all skill positions are accounted for (I think we need a safety). I think this offseason the team can really turn the attention to fixing the lines. I expect this team to be very competitive next season.

5. MaxFischer

MaxFischer Rookie

Do you know what ignorance is? It's thinking that Kendall Wright Will ever be a number 1 wide receiver. But if you're okay with spending a first round pick on a 3rd or fourth round talent then that's on you.

The whole point is that we over paid for what we got. It's hard to justify a first round pick for someone who gets 8 yards per catch.

6. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

We wont know that until 1-2 years from now. I sure hope he does, or else we need to draft another WR

7. SoCalTitan867

SoCalTitan867 Starter

How is it fair to say we overpaid? WR is probably the hardest of the skill positions to transition from the college level to the NFL. Typically you wait a couple years before you can even start to say the words bust or overpaid. IMO, Wright has done pretty well given the circumstances, playing with 2 different QBs, seeing a good amount of targets for a rookie, not ever having used a playbook in college and last but not least, playing in Palmers garbage system.

I didn't necessarily agree with the KW pick at the time but, I get it. Britt was a huge question mark, Washington is great but he's getting old and gets pretty banged up. And who else did we really have outside of those 2? It's no secret KW was going to be a first round pick. I remember even Mike Holmgren saying they were going to pick KW then we did much to their surprise so they drafted Weeden instead. Who got the better end of that deal? Point being lets chill on the KW analysis for a while.

8. The Kid

The Kid Starter

Why are those two "Doh's"?

Good article by the way. The sad truth. The trenches are where the game is won.

9. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

People don't understand the idea that a slot receivers don't ha to be the third best receiver.

But whatever, you guys can go ahead and tell me Welker, Austin, and Cruz aren't worth first round picks.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar