Reasons To Avoid Drafting Mariota And Keep Mett

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by mike75, Apr 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

I went back and looked at a couple of Mariota's games and then went back and looked at Mett's in college. This is definitely coming down to if they think Mett is someone they want to keep or take a chance on Mariota.

Regardless i think a lot of these QB's are rated way too high especially when they are merely good prospects and not elite. It is dangerous in my opinion because teams put way too much emphasis and stock into it and it does backfire especially on teams that have high draft picks like Tennessee this year......

Also lest we forget guess who was the second QB off the board in the 2011 NFL Draft? Jake Locker my friends. Guess who is the projected second QB off the board this year? Marcus Mariota ,Wow how quickly we forget. Also something even scarier is Mariota has many of the very same flaws Locker had back in 2011. Something to think about......

Before i'm criticized about my views on this i'm looking at it from both angles. Tennessee already has Mett and he played better than a rookie normally plays in his first year and could really breakout in his second season. Mett only played in six games but he broke some team and NFL rookie records and showed that he could play in the NFL.

Only thing is Tennessee had a really bad team,a high draft pick and a fanbase desperate for change which means this team could very well end up drafting Mariota and basically starting over. The reason i don't like this approach is the QB we have has already shown promise and is actually further advanced in many ways than Mariota was when he came out of college and into the NFL.

Also look at it like this. Because Mariota is projected to go in the first few picks in the first round quite a few fans already have this preconceived notion that this means Mariota is better than Mett because he was a projected second round pick that fell to the sixth round in the 2014 draft. Mariota is nowhere near as ready as Mett was when he came out last year.

My concerns with Mariota is he played in a simplified spread offense strictly out of the shotgun. Now take into account Mettenberger came from a pro style offense against the top competition in college football. There are issues with Mariota's footwork in the pocket and also his vision when forced off his first read. He also struggles with throws to the sidelines and with his deep ball. He also threw a lot of short passes as well. Accuracy could be an issue as he missed too many open receivers at times. This worries me because he will have to get the ball into tighter windows.

Meanwhile Mett exhibited an advanced pocket presence and the ability to maintain his timing and mechanics in the face of pressure. He understands defensive coverages as well as pre-snap and post-snap reads.He also has good field vision and progression and makes quick decisions. Mett also has the ability to audible and change plays and protections at the line of scrimmage depending on the defensive look. He threw the deep ball accurately as well as anyone and also completed 65 percent of his passes and very few were short throws. 50 percent of his passes were ten yards or longer.

So i've stated my reasons why i think it would be a mistake to draft Mariota. I do think the team needs to keep Mett and see if he continues to progress in 2015.

The team would be much better in the long run by either picking Leonard Williams to strengthen the defense,Drafting a WR to give Mett a true game breaking weapon or they could also trade down and let some other desperate QB needy team take Mariota and take all the picks they get from this and plug some holes they have at different positions.

#1 mike75, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    • High Five High Five x 5
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 2
    • Pigeon Bomb Pigeon Bomb x 1
  2. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

These were Mett's numbers over preseason and the six game stretch that he played. If you saw a rookie QB put up these what would you think....

During the preseason Mett was the leading passer of all NFL QB's completing 47 of 68 passes good for 69 percent of passes completed for 659 yards.

In his first preseason game lead a last minute comeback against Green Bay directing a five-play, 80-yard drive to win the game 20-16. He connected with wide receiver Brian Robiskie for a 38-yard completion across the middle to set up Battle's seven-yard touchdown run.

Second preseason game against New Orleans he completed 20 out of 25 passes,80 percent of his passes were completed including a 64 yard pass to Hunter.

In his last preseason game he completed 12 of 17 passes.70 percent of passes were completed.

In Mett's first full game of action against Houston he went 27 of 41 completing 66 percent of his passes for 300 yards with two touchdowns,one interception and a 93.4 QB rating.

On the road against Baltimore in his second game he looked sharp in the first half leading the first few drives down the field he completed 16 of 27 passes with one touchdown and one interception.

In his third game against Pittsburgh he set a rookie record on MNF completing 15 of 24 passes for 263 yards including an 80 yard bomb for a TD ending the game with two touchdowns and one interception and a 110 QB rating. After the game even the Steelers defense complimented Mett on a great game.

Against Philly he threw for 345 yards including eight passes over twenty yards with two touchdowns and one interception and an 88 QB rating.

In his fifth game at Houston he completed 13 of 19 passes completing 68 percent of his passes for 184 yards for one touchdown and one interception and a 95 QB rating.

Out of all six games he played only the last one against New York was bad mainly because of the poor offensive line in it he completed 14 out of 24 passes for 125 yards and an interception.

To be honest he only got six games to show what he could do but i think he did a mighty fine job considering he had a shoestring offensive line,a non existent running game and a defense that was the worst in the league.

Putting it all in perspective i think Mett did well enough to deserve the starting job next year. No reason at all to draft another QB.

#3 mike75, Apr 2, 2015
    • High Five High Five x 5
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  4. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

I want to believe in Mett. I really do, but the odds are sorely not in our favor. I know people harp on the 6th round pick thing way too much, but there is solid reasoning behind it. How many 6th round picks have gone on to be great. Brady...ok anyone else. I just do not believe in Mett. I hope he can be great and we trade out, but I'm not expecting it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

Basically what it comes down too. Now I want you all to do something for me, death yourself from all emotion, all knowledge, all awareness of the situation and the players at hand. After you do that watch these highlights, and tell me which one would you say has a more likely chance to succeed in the NFL.

As I write this I haven't even looked at the highlight videos, I'll pick the first ones I see that are of even length. No shananigans.

OK I'll watch them and I'll give my honest opinion

6. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

Mariota = Steve McNair (or Russell Wilson) 2.0

Mettenberger = Mike Glennon (or John Skelton) 2.0

Nuff said.

As bad as I'd like to take Leonard Williams or trade the picks, I still believe Mariota is our next franchise QB, and will give the AFC South fits, like Andrew Luck has. That's worth more than 3-4 extra picks or even a really good 3-4 DE that we don't really need (DaQuan Jones will start to make some noise at that spot, just like Casey came on his 2nd-3rd season in)

Check out this Mettenberger video:

#6 TitanUpB4UGO, Apr 2, 2015
    • WTF?! x 2
    • Bullsh*t x 2
    • High Five x 1
    • LOL x 1
    • Cheers x 1
  7. 520

OK...mariota...am I watching a rb or qb? Literally 5 nice-ish throws. I'll give him credit for three good ones...being generous. Threw a few OK deep balls, maybe two tight window passes.

Mett..stopped counting after 15 tight window throws maybe a Lil more than halfway through...honestly saw more than 5 throws where he "threw the guy open"

Mm might be OK under the right circumstances with a few years to develop. I don't think that will be the case but its a good possibility...

Mett has one real knock right now...can he stay healthy? I say I am more comfortable rolling with mett and hoping he stays healthy and taking a third round qb, than betting the next two to three years...and possibly two coaching staffs...on mariota

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. 520

Mariotas just as likely to get injured as mettenberger...dude looks like pat white.

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

I'm hoping we trade out as well. I think Mett will do well. Mett came out in his very first preseason game and lead a come from behind drive to get a victory. He lead all QB's in passing his first preseason. He set a franchise record his first regular season game in passing. He set a MNF record in passing against Pitt. He only got to play six games but in the small opportunity he got he did pretty well especially considering how bad the team was around him.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. 520

Mariota is McNair. Sure..just like vy and Jake locker were.

Someone better tighten up your helmet before you go out the house

• LOL LOL x 3
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar