Recording HD?

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Bobo, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Thought there was a thread like this awhile back, can't find it though. I record shows on my cable companies hd dvr box I rent from them. Of course when it fills up, I have to delete some old goodies to make room for new goodies.

I was wondering how I could save shows elsewhere. I have a dvd recorder, but thought they didn't have the HD version of that. Or maybe saving to my cpu is another way? Just looking for some ideas :yes:

2. You probably would have to either import it into a computer directly or get a bluray burner to hook up to it. I don't know of another option at this point (and I'm in the same boat).

3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Bluray burner....that sounds expensive :greedy: Of course my puter may be too slow to handle trying to record through it.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

[​IMG]
    http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/HDHomeRun/product1.en.html

i found this the other day

the drawback is that all the Comcast digital (non-local) HD channels won't be available to this unit (not yet anyway) and it's not CableCard compatible (not that it really matters, but it could pull in the premium channels like HBO if it were)
    however, all the local OTA HD signals will be available to it and the limit of recordings will only be limited by the size of our HDD in your PC (yes, there's a PC version too)

if only I could get the Sci-Fi-HD and DiscoveryHD feeds to come through it, I could possibly do away with a cable box altogether

I believe I read where it works with Internet sites like Hulu,etc..

I'm gonna look a little deeper into it

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

From what I am understanding, this unit plugs into your cable/satellite and records shows. Via your mac, you can then access them wirelessly and watch them whenever you want?

6. Looks like just cable, not satellite...

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

yes,..... on any computer attached to your network
    recording and viewing is done via your Mac ..... I'd have to research how this would end up on the TV
    not sure if there is a unit that is a Mac/PC hybrid
    they have models for each but not one for both

and ,as SK alluded to, it appears this works with Cable and OTA only
    not sure how you'd implement a SAT receiver into the mix

fwiw, DIsh Network's DVR's (considered by some to be the better DVR's on the market (at least until TiVo messed it up) allowed you to attach an external HDD to the DVR for offloading

Comcast's DVR's have the capability to support HDD but is not enabled, nor are the Ethernet, USB, Firewire, etc... ports :irked:

my WISHLIST is for a 1TB HardDrive 1080p recorder (like a DVD recorder sans the DVD) that accepts Component or HDMI in and outputs both HDMI (to TV) and Ethernet (back to PC for archiving / editing) :yes:

last time I looked at DVD-Recorders, few accepted Component in and the ones that did only accepted 480p

it would help if Comcast installed larger HDD's , enabled the Ethernet / USB ports or supported external HDD drives

8. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Here's a quick question...anyone with Directv unit use the OTA option to get the networks? How well does it work and do you use an outdoor antenna or indoor?

9. My DirecTV HD recorder apparently can be hooked up to a network (though I've never tried it), but it looks like it's only set up to work with Intel VIIV PCs.

I don't use the OTA antenna, but I have heard the signal isn't as compressed as it is with the normal local feeds via DTV. Not sure how well it works, though.

10. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

OTA is the best way to recieve HD (other than having a HDCAM or D5 deck....) but who wants to put in an outdoor antenna?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar