Reese Pays Tribute to McNair

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Just moments before the Ravens press conference this afternoon, Titans GM Floyd Reese paid tribute to #9. "I think when you look at what Steve has done for us and what he has meant to us over a number of years, I don’t know that you could ask a lot more from him," said Reese. "I think it’s easy to look at numbers, to look at wins and to look at championship games and some of those things and get really tied up in all of that. For probably most of us on the inside, we look at a lot of other things. He is a special guy, a special person, and has special leadership qualities. Once again, since we’ve been together, we’ve had the opportunity to spend a high draft choice on one quarterback with Steve, and again, I don’t know that we could have asked for a lot more than what we got. Steve in my mind will go up there and put on a Raven uniform for a couple of years, but he is still a Titan. When he finishes, he will come back to Nashville and he will still be a Titan."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

I honestly believe this shows they did want to keep him. Steve just didn't want to play for the Titans anymore. So we couldn't afford him

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Titans never really made an effort to keep McNair. Maybe he does have some "warm fuzzys" for McNair but I think we're seeing damage control now.

4. SteveH

SteveH Starter

Completely agree TJ.. I got to say though, reading those quotes I sort of had the feeling Fisher's next for some reason.. Eddie gone, Mase, Rolle, McNair.. I just sort of thought, Fisher could be next.. Not talking now, but perhaps after this year.. just pondering..
    Here's to Vince!

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

If anything McNair never really made an effort to stay in Nashville. Go watch the interview on ESPN with McNair, he states clearly that he knew the Titans couldn't afford his huge caphit and thus wanted to be released immediately to find a new team.

flamehead2's post about McNair planning this for 2 years is beginning to sound more plausible (well maybe just 1 year, but still).

6. TitanJeff

He was under contract.

If you are implying he should have gone to Reese and said "cut my salary in half so I can play one more year here and retire" then I guess you're right.

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

No I'm implying that when Reese contacted McNair and said "Look, we can't afford this huge caphit you're causing us, so we'd like to lower your salary", McNair besically said "Tuff titty on you fishface, release me so I can play elsewhere" <-- dramatized, but you get the picture

It was clear from the beginning that the Titans couldn't afford to pay McNair 9 million this year and it was also clear that McNair had no intention of making less 9 million this year and just wanted to be released as soon as possible. So my point is that the Titans were the only ones tryin to keep McNair in Nashville.

8. TitanJeff

They were only if McNair was willing to play for half what he was offered to play elsewhere. The Titans offer wasn't even competitive. And they certainly didn't act like they wanted him based on their actions.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

This is true. I commented the other day before I became distracted with something else that I had managed to capture this interview on my TiVo. I had every intention of transcribing it but I have not made it a priority at all. When I get some rest I'll try to get it up within 24 hours. I'll post it right here.

I agree with damage control camp. Also, McNair did not want to be here.
    Verdict? irreconcilable differences :bonk:

upside - WE DRAFTED VINCE YOUNG!!! :nana2:

10. Bizz21

Bizz21 Guest

Bye McNair...we love you...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar